Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Longarm purchase - new or used? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/longarm-purchase-new-used-t301404.html)

Grannies G 12-08-2018 07:29 AM

I recently bought a used Sweet sixteen that only had 90,000 Stitches, basically unused really, but got lots of extras like the tru stitch regulator, several rulers, thread etc. so I would consider what extras the person selling is including. So far excellent machine and well worth what I paid. Good luck

bkay 12-08-2018 07:51 AM

If you buy it, take lots and lots of photos as you disassemble it.

bkay

newbee3 12-08-2018 09:21 AM

most issues can be taken care of over the phone. Also with tension issues you just have to work it out for yourself. There are a lot of videos dealing with it on the computer. I would go with the one you want

Dolphyngyrl 12-08-2018 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 8172552)
Buy used, but try before you buy. Make sure the machine is set up on the frame, ready to do a sample quilting, when you look at it. If it works, great, then buy it.

My first machine, HQ16 was purchased used and worked great. I used it with the PC Quilter, an automated quilting system for 8 years. My DH cleaned it for me about every two years, and except for dust around the needle area, it was very clean. It never needed any other maintenance. My sister is happily (I think) learning to use it in her home.

I upgraded to a Q'nique 21 because it was a good buy even after adding the automated quilting system - and - there were no used Long Arms for sale within driving distance of me. If a used HQ with a Pro-Stitcher was available and close enough to try it out, I would have gotten a larger HQ.

One word of caution - the HQ16 user manual was scant. Very basic information in it. (The newer, larger HQs may have more info in their user guides.) If you and your husband are going to take down and set up a used HQ on your own, take some video's of the 'take down' to 'remind' yourself of what goes where during the set up.

My hq manual is very sparse so don't think the manuals have improved

AnnaPP 12-08-2018 12:32 PM

Have you used one before? I thought I just had to have one and was so tickled to find a good deal and then I was even more tickled the day I sold it. I just didn't have the patience dealing with the tension. Highly suggest you play around with one at shop before investing.

sewnclog 12-08-2018 02:57 PM

I bought a used machine (not a HQ) but I saved about half the cost of a new one; the previous owner upgraded to computerized. I haven't had any issues so far that have required help. I say go for the used one.

dobiemom 12-08-2018 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by AnnaPP (Post 8172967)
Have you used one before? I thought I just had to have one and was so tickled to find a good deal and then I was even more tickled the day I sold it. I just didn't have the patience dealing with the tension. Highly suggest you play around with one at shop before investing.

Yes, I’ve rented and worked on HQ, Innova, and Gammill :)

dobiemom 12-08-2018 04:40 PM

Thanks so much for all of the advice!! This is a great group!

I’m going to look at the used one this week. :) It comes with a 12 ft frame but I’d need to set it up as an 8 ft due to space constraints.