Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Longarm quilters--best? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/longarm-quilters-best-t161130.html)

Valerie Ann 10-17-2011 11:03 AM

Yesterday, my husband and I spent a great deal of time looking and test driving longarm quilting machines. In the end, his favorite saying "let's pull the trigger" came out of his mouth. Gasp! So, let's say a person wanted to make the investment (sigh, close eyes, slide the credit card, and sign) which longarm quilting machine would you buy and why?

quilttiludrop 10-17-2011 11:17 AM

Space available for it is always a big consideration. Also figure out what kind of cash (or not) is available for the expenditure. Are you already familiar with the use of a long arm machine? If not, are you totally infatuated with the idea of quilting? If you are not a quilting fanatic, I would recommend against purchasing a long arm machine.

We are very happy with our Gammill machine! If you intend to quilt full-time (or close to full-time), buy the largest machine and table that you can afford and have room for!

Happy Quilting!

Scissor Queen 10-17-2011 11:22 AM

There is no one best longarm machine anymore than there is one best car. Try out as many as you can. Pick the one that works for you best.

OCQuilts 10-17-2011 11:34 AM

Gammill.....no question. That's my choice. Try them all for sure. I did. I think if you try them all, you will get a Gammill. Good luck in what ever you decide!

cedarvalleyquilts 10-17-2011 11:38 AM

I love our Nolting. I have a friend who is fanatic about her Innova....it's all personal preference on what fits you best, what features you're looking for, and most definitely consider the space where it will be.

Also take into consideration maintenance/assistance from whomever you purchase from. Having a local dealer close by was a big part of my decision.

Have fun deciding :)

Christine

QuiltnNan 10-17-2011 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by cedarvalleyquilts
Also take into consideration maintenance/assistance from whomever you purchase from. Having a local dealer close by was a big part of my decision.

ditto on that!

lfletcher 10-17-2011 11:52 AM

I love my Gammill.

dunster 10-17-2011 11:52 AM

I agree - personal preference, space available, type of quilting to be done - all determine what kind of machine is best for you. I think they are all good, and all probably have their weaknesses too. I bought a 26" Innova with a 12' table and I would do the same again. Of course if money were no object I might get more options, but I would buy the same brand.

fabric_fancy 10-17-2011 11:53 AM

i would get the largest frame and throat my budget would allow and then i pick some one local who sold that setup so you could have lessons and easy access service/repairs.

PaperPrincess 10-17-2011 12:21 PM

You said you took a lot of time test driving different machines. Which one did YOU like best? A local dealer is nice. Available space is an issue. Remember that you need enough space to walk around the machine. If you are going to do pantos, they are done from the back on some frames so you would need enough room to also work from the back.