Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Longarm quilting machine. Which one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/longarm-quilting-machine-one-t26492.html)

nena 10-04-2009 06:56 AM

I am looking at a 18X8 Viking longarm machine and I thought I remember someone saying they did not like it. I like the Pfaff better but it is in NC and I live in WV and Joann's is only 3 blocks from me.
Soooo any suggestions?

Scissor Queen 10-04-2009 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by nena
I am looking at a 18X8 Viking longarm machine and I thought I remember someone saying they did not like it. I like the Pfaff better but it is in NC and I live in WV and Joann's is only 3 blocks from me.
Soooo any suggestions?

If at all possible I suggest you try them out first. Buying a longarm is a whole lot like buying a car. The size, style and features I like might not work for you.

aardvarq 10-04-2009 03:02 PM

Hi Nena,

I don't know if this is going to be helpful or not, but I have the previous regular size Viking Mega Quilter and it is working great for me. I had a little trouble getting the upper thread tension adjusted, and it looks like the 18x8 mega quilter has the same mechanism.

It wasn't the machine, it was just me. Once I adjusted the threading, it has worked great . . . for what it is worth.

I agree with the other post-er, try to get your hands on the machine to try it out.

nena 10-04-2009 08:13 PM

Thanks for the info.
I will try them both out before I buy.
Did you set them up yourself? My understanding is they just ship it to you and the rest is up to you. Right?

Thanks again

mytwopals 10-05-2009 01:26 PM

The pfaff and the Viking are both made by the same manufacturer.

Sheree from Chicago 10-05-2009 02:45 PM

Thats interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I have a Pfaff and was wondering if I ever upgraded which one would be better Pfaff (I love my Pfaff) Viking or Bernina. Hmmmmmmmm

nena 10-05-2009 03:13 PM

Ok.. went to NC this week end and found a Tin Lizzie 18, much better price. Has everything the others did, BUT this is a small shop and they will del. put together and show me how to use it. This is only for my sister & I to do our quilts on. Not as sleek, but we don't need anything fancy.
Any input on this machine?
Thanks

Sheree from Chicago 10-05-2009 03:49 PM

Congratulations! It will pay for itself. How nice to have a sister to share quilting with.

Prism99 10-06-2009 07:45 AM

Join the homequiltingsystems list on Yahoo! to find out the pros and cons of each setup. Check the files section first, then do a search of posts on the Tin Lizzie to see what comments come up. After all that, you can post your alternatives and ask for input. (The list moderators prefer people to do some basic research on the list before posting for the first time.) This is a great group for unbiased information about longarms.

MaryStoaks 10-06-2009 07:55 AM

I am very happy with my Tin Lizzie. It has many features that the more expensive machines have at a reasonable price. Mine is the older model which is very heavy. I heard the new Lizzies weigh less. I feel fortunate to have bought it, so much fun! :D Other gals on this board also have Lizzies.
Mary