Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Longarm tension trouble (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/longarm-tension-trouble-t242029.html)

mimiof4 02-25-2014 05:17 PM

Longarm tension trouble

I have been longarming for awhile now have never had any real tension issues. Quilted a quilt for myself with much micro stitches, the tension on the back was absolutely horrible tried different things the whole quilt never got it quite right. Got it done looks great from the front but,... well not back to doing my regular style quilting and thought tension looked pretty good, then got to the end of a row, and the loops on the back started again, just every so often, any advice would be greatly appreciated. could I have messed up the timing somehow?
Thanks Connie

AnnieSue 02-25-2014 05:32 PM

Start over. Clean and oil and get the tension just right. If it happens again, check the timing.

dunster 02-25-2014 06:50 PM

First thing to check is microscopic bits of lint in the bobbin area or around the hook. Next, change needle, try a new bobbin, rethread, all the things you've probably already done. Next, do you need a new check spring? Those things wear out, and they're cheap and easy to replace.

lb70542 02-25-2014 06:52 PM

How do you check the timing? I'm New to longarm quilting and have read this comment many times..

Suze9395 02-25-2014 07:06 PM

When I have those issues, it is normally lint, threading or needle issues.

Good luck, tension issues are sooooo frustrating!

Silver Needle 02-25-2014 08:42 PM

I just ordered and received the Towa tension Guages firm Superior Threads. I'm hoping they will take some of the guesswork out of setting the tension. It will take some time getting the charts created with different batting and fabric types but I'm hoping it will eventually relieve some of my personal tension!:)

cathyvv 02-25-2014 09:13 PM

Re-thread your LA using the manual to guide you. I spent an entire day trying to fix a tension issue, looked at the threading of the machine at least 100 times that day and did not see that the machine was threaded incorrectly. Next day I used the manual to check and my threading mistake jumped right out. After I fixed it, my LA forgave me and sewed wonderful stitches all day long.

Check your bobbin case for lint and caught bits of thread. It's amazing how much havoc can be wreaked by a tiny bit of lint/thread caught in the thread guide of the bobbin case.

Make sure you have the bobbin in correctly. Again, check how to insert the bobbin in your manual. If you did it wrong by mistake and you're like me, you'll never notice the mistake because you're 100% sure you did it right, so that's what you see - even when you did it wrong.

Take your needle plate off your machine and clean thoroughly, then oil the bobbin race as described in your manual. Clean excess oil off so that you won't stain your quilt sandwich.

It cold be a timing issue. Timing is the interaction of the needle with the bobbin mechanism to bring the two threads together to make a stitch. I don't know how to check that other than to get your machine serviced.

Good luck to you. I know how frustrating this can be.

mimiof4 02-26-2014 04:45 AM

Thanks everyone back at it this morning, I will be doing multiple checks before I get going. It really does cause a lot of "tension".
Connie

Geri B 02-26-2014 08:59 AM

If all else fails call/contact mfgr.