Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ? for longarmers re trimming threads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/longarmers-re-trimming-threads-t312107.html)

sarge1 08-12-2020 07:28 AM

? for longarmers re trimming threads

I'm going to try a new (to me) place for long arm quilting. They would like the back threads trimmed before drop off. This seems quite a daunting task to me, when looking at the back of my quilt. How is this easily accomplished? And how much needs to be trimmed-just the really long ones, or every frayed edge, or..? Thanks for any help :)

QuiltE 08-12-2020 09:02 AM

it's really not that difficult ...... here's how I do it .....

I have my quilt top well pressed before I start. Then I flip it over my dining room table and go row by row or by sections, depending on the design. I trim everything ... threads, long and short, and frayed edges alike. My tool of choice is a really sharp pair of small fine scissors. Just be really careful! Once done, I give it another good pressing, just to be sure!

It's kind of a nice feeling once it is all trimmed up to see how good the back looks! Many times I've received compliments and praise from the LAQ's for such a nice clean back. it really is worth the effort.

Peckish 08-12-2020 09:05 AM

I trim as I go, block by block. It really makes for a much neater quilt. Starching helps a bit. Doing this will also give you a chance to double-check all your seams.

Onebyone 08-12-2020 11:19 AM

I think it is because the threads may show under the top maybe using dark piecing thread on light fabric?, with batting and backing I don't see how the threads would be a problem for the LA. Doesn't bother the one I use at all.

gax000 08-12-2020 05:18 PM

Trimming the threads on the back is indeed for preventing the dark threads showing through light fabric. It’s a real pain to get them out after quilting and detracts from an otherwise beautiful quilt.

QuiltE 08-13-2020 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8409405)
I think it is because the threads may show under the top maybe using dark piecing thread on light fabric?, with batting and backing I don't see how the threads would be a problem for the LA. Doesn't bother the one I use at all.

Agree about the dark threads showing through a lighter fabric.
Likewise, the frayed fibres sometimes can be a worse problem than the stitching thread.

As for problems for the LA'er, sometimes threads/frays inside the sandwich will get pulled back to the outside with the needle going in and out. Then can be difficult to "clean up" if it has the LA stitching on it. Or with the bulk created where multiple seams meet up, can sometimes be hard enough for the LA'er to stitch smoothly and evenly. Thus, removing the excess can help.

Macybaby 08-13-2020 07:32 AM

I always thought this was a strange request, until I saw some tops that an acquaintance received to LA. Seems some people don't trim their sewing threads while they are piecing, and handle their quilt in a way that they end up with significant fraying all over.

Being afraid of what I might be sent is the main reason I only LA for myself.