Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Look into the future (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/look-into-future-t252484.html)

GagaSmith 08-25-2014 05:24 PM

Look into the future

I love reading posts about quilts that were made 100 years ago, more or less, and what little the quilters had in the way of supplies.
We have so much today--rulers, rotary cutters, beautiful fabric, die cutters, computerized sewing machines, etc., that our foremothers couldn't even dream of.
Look into the future--what do you think our great or great great grandchildren will have to use to make their quilts in 100 years?

Boston1954 08-25-2014 05:38 PM

Oh man, I can only imagine! I like to think that someday there will be an EQ108 where they will just hit a button on the computer and a quilt will come out the back. But seriously, I think that the choices of fabric will be thrilling. Maybe the rulers will be improved a bit.

QuiltnNan 08-25-2014 06:16 PM

i think the Destiny by babylock is pretty futuristic already.

mike'sgirl 08-25-2014 06:34 PM

I imagine that manually cutting fabric will be a thing of the past, and the cutting devices will be a lot more affordable.

Bree123 08-25-2014 08:00 PM

Maybe a 3-D printer that can churn out custom die-cut molds? Or a printer-style machine that you could just select the cuts of fabric you want, load in some white fabric & the machine would dye the fabric, cut the pieces out, starch & press them so they're ready to put up on a design wall. :)
And maybe they will find a way to make computerized long-arm machines small enough to fit in a home sewing room. Of course, I'm not really sure how much I'd use that because I actually really enjoy the FMQ process, but it sure would help speed things up.

bearisgray 08-26-2014 05:03 AM

or maybe things will become so rationed that we will save the smallest scrap of usable fabric and thread and sew everything by hand again because we are allowed to use only so much electricity per day.

ManiacQuilter2 08-26-2014 10:38 AM

Probably just select a design and out comes the quilt. Certainly no cutting with rotary cutters.

Onebyone 08-26-2014 10:59 AM

There is a new fabric hitting the fashion runways now that changes color with air movement. I see fabric that changes color whenever you want it to.

sewmini 08-26-2014 11:13 AM

I picture a machine that can be set for any block, any quilting style etc. the person who will have such a machine will have lots of money and will be able to walk away from the machine and come back to the finished quilt.....therefore all the fun and enjoyment of making a quilt will have been taken away........they will never know what true accomplishment and creativity we enjoyed.

Onebyone 08-26-2014 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by sewmini (Post 6861085)
I picture a machine that can be set for any block, any quilting style etc. the person who will have such a machine will have lots of money and will be able to walk away from the machine and come back to the finished quilt.....therefore all the fun and enjoyment of making a quilt will have been taken away........they will never know what true accomplishment and creativity we enjoyed.

That's about the way of the new embroidery machines are now. Select the design and the machine does it.