Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   look what I found! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/look-what-i-found-t160641.html)

MrsBoats 10-15-2011 11:08 AM

5 Attachment(s)
It's been a good Saturday all around. I was at our Habitat's ReStore on Friday buying a sewing machine, and got to talking about sewing with the lady cashing me out.. She told me her daughter runs a quilt shop next town over, which is about 40 minutes closer than the only other LQS I know about. I decided to go today.

It's a beautiful day, and my car just mysteriously pulled over in front of a yard sale. They had lots of old electronics, mall ninja swords, and antique dolls. (A box full of doll faces is creepy, btw.)

And a stack of appliqued butterfly quilt squares.

I hadn't actually intended on going junking, so I had to scrounge in my car for the $2 she was asking, but I found it, and they came home with me.

There are 19 total. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them--I'm open to suggestions--but I couldn't bear to leave them there.

The purple ones are unfinished-they're only basted down. The polka dot one is the only one with wing stripes, and some have long antenna, some short. They're 10~ inches; I haven't measured. The backing is a heavier-weight muslin. I assume the butterflies are feedsacking?

A few questions. Can I wash them? Not washing machine, but a sink full of...what? Some are dirty, and some are water stained. Can I iron them? They've clearly been stuffed somewhere with no respect for ages.

What would you do with them?

eta: Oh, and the LQS? MUCH friendlier than the other one I know about. I'll definitely be going back, probably for their Friday night sew-ins!

3 dark yellow, 3 pink, 2 yellow, 2 orange
[ATTACH=CONFIG]271750[/ATTACH]

2 each of the blues, 1 polka dot, 1 plaid
[ATTACH=CONFIG]271751[/ATTACH]

1 green, 2 purple
[ATTACH=CONFIG]271752[/ATTACH]

look carefully-you can see the thread ends from the basting in the center of the body
[ATTACH=CONFIG]271754[/ATTACH]

Prism99 10-15-2011 11:19 AM

Wonderful find!!!

Chicca 10-15-2011 11:20 AM

Enjoyed reading your post. Sounds like a grand day, I would love to be able to stop at garage sale (no one holds them in our neck of the desert for some reason). The blocks are wonderful. I have no real suggestions for washing, sorry.

mymsmess 10-15-2011 11:29 AM

Can't beat your find for $2.00!

amyjo 10-15-2011 11:31 AM

hand wash dry on towels.

Fabaddict 10-15-2011 11:37 AM

yes you can hand wash them - just lay them to soak in a solution of 1 tablespoon bleach to 1 gallon of water - you will be surprised how nice they will come out. I got that recipe from a gal that restores old embroidered pieces - I used it on an old quilt block too, and it worked wonderfully

ptquilts 10-15-2011 12:06 PM

Make that all-fabric bleach - takes out the grunginess of age.

craftybear 10-15-2011 12:12 PM

great find

QuiltnNan 10-15-2011 12:53 PM

i'd make a wall hanging and call it an antique. then i wouldn't have to worry about the discolored backing :)

Deborahlees 10-15-2011 12:56 PM

Am I understanding you correctly...you purchased a sewing machine at your Habitate ReStore ?????