Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   looking for age of this quilt .....UPDATE pg 2 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-age-quilt-update-pg-2-a-t15115.html)

henryparrish76 01-07-2009 06:36 PM

Wow its sad that there is no documentation on it. :( It looks like it has some 50's fabric like my grandma had when I was a little boy.

gigi2landon 01-07-2009 06:51 PM

It's some kind of flower pattern. ARGH I cannot think of what it is.

You can probably come close to the age by looking at the "innards" of the quilt - what kind of batting?

I'll check my antique pattern book

jstitch 01-07-2009 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by KO24
I would say 40s or 50s and that is just guess...
From the look of the fabric used.
K

This would be my guess too, looks like a couple of thirtys prints in there, but most are from the 40s.. at least thats what it looks like from the pictures,

It is really hard to tell these things from pictures..

sewnsewer2 01-08-2009 03:34 AM

I don't know what kind of batting was used until I redo the binding. I know it was used alot, because the binding is in terrible shape and there are a few small light spots on it.

I'm wondering if my dad's aunt made it. As far as I know, I'm the only sewer in my family. But then, I found it in a closet. Hummm

Quilter101 01-08-2009 06:30 PM

Earlist 30s, latest 50s. I have a lot of scraps from that era thanks to my grandmother. I would say pinwheel varation or dreseden plate.
It is similar to both.
Awesome quilt!!!

jazzy 01-11-2009 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
I found this quilt at my mom's when she passed 6 years ago. I doubt she made it. I've never seen her quilt.

It is hand quilted. It needs to have the binding replaced because it it very tattered and in bad shape.

It is huge. No label on it either.

Now, my question is... does anyone know the era these fabrics are from? The background is really white, but my camera has a mind on it's own tonight. My sister has never seen it before either, and I am wondering who made it.

My Guess is that this was made back in the late 20s to the early 30s
that is the kind of fabrics they used back then. Good luck on finding out, the one thing I know for sure is these are pricless.

sewnsewer2 01-11-2009 05:58 PM

GOOD NEW YA'LL!!

A friend told me the date this may have been made. She said 1936-1940. She remembers many of the fabrics used in this quilt from those dates.

YAY!!!!!!

jazzy 01-11-2009 07:50 PM

HI! I am checking with a friend of my that knows a lot about quilts so I am trying to find out for you just how old this quilt is. If my friend can help I will let you know. If she does not know she might know where you can find out, but what ever you do hang on to this quilt it is a nice quilt.
Clara

:-P :-P

sewnsewer2 01-12-2009 01:30 AM

Ok, thanks Clara.

jazzy 01-12-2009 02:13 PM

Hello, I talked with my friend and she said that the pattern was from the 30's and if you have a quilt program call Block Base on your PC that this pattern is in there it is called Cog Wheel and the number that you would look it up on Block Base is 3455.
She did say that some of the fabrics are from the 30's and some from the 40's.

I hope this has helped you to find out more about this quilt.
Clara :)