Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking at getting a mid-arm machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-getting-mid-arm-machine-t129688.html)

DebsShelties 06-11-2011 10:11 AM

I am looking at the ones that have the 6 inch high by 9 inches wide to the right of the needle. These are straight stitch machines.
If you have one, what kind do you have, and what do you like/dislike about it?

hazeljane 06-11-2011 10:27 AM

I have a Juki 98-Q and I love everything about it. Of course, now I want a long arm, but I will still keep Juki for piecing. She runs like a top, is all metal, I can clean and oil her myself and there is no hidden computer things to mess up.

She drinks oil like an old drunk, and she needs to be cleaned and oiled every 8 hours of sewing. (She begins to sound a little different, and unthread her needle).

On the frame, I love her as well. Only now that I have gotten better, I want a long-arm. Still, she rocks.

bjeriann 06-11-2011 10:28 AM

I have a Viking Mega Quilter. I love it. You can use it on or off a frame.

DebsShelties 06-11-2011 10:39 AM

I have looked at the Babylock Jane which is the same machine as the BrotherPQ1500S, want to hear what the others have.
I saw the Jane in person, saw the others online.
They seem to all be under $1000 depending on where you get them.
It's nice to know the potential problems ahead of time.

QuiltnNan 06-11-2011 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
I have a Juki 98-Q and I love everything about it. Of course, now I want a long arm, but I will still keep Juki for piecing. She runs like a top, is all metal, I can clean and oil her myself and there is no hidden computer things to mess up.

ditto

caliquocat 06-11-2011 11:53 AM

I have the Viking Saphire 875Q model with the extra large space for manipulating quilts. I know it's pricey but it was a gift from my DD.

quilter girl 06-11-2011 03:31 PM

I just sold my Pfaff Grand Quilter and frame. It worked great - I loved it, buttttttttttttttttttttttttt I wanted a bigger throat (always saw patterns that were to big to sew out) now I get to order my longarm - can't wait. I enjoyed my machine for 3 years - it sure beat quilting on my regular machine - you can just glide along.

BettyBoop70 06-11-2011 07:43 PM

I have the Pfaff Grand Quilter and frame. I love it also but wish it had a bigger throat also. It sews great and have used it both on and off of the frame. Good look with what ever set-up you decide on.

fabric_fancy 06-11-2011 08:23 PM

i have a Juki 98Q and i'm very happy with it.

i think 9 inch throat machines are considered short arm not mid arm - just in case you look at pantos or pattern boards, you'll want short arm not mid arm.

quilterella 06-12-2011 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by caliquocat
I have the Viking Saphire 875Q model with the extra large space for manipulating quilts. I know it's pricey but it was a gift from my DD.

I am looking at this machine to purchase in the next couple of weeks. Is it a great as the LQS tells me it is? I will test run it before actually purchasing it, but, everything I have read and been told, is that it is a real workhorse!