Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for ideas for guild meetings (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-ideas-guild-meetings-t256177.html)

Cajungirl 11-01-2014 11:16 AM

Looking for ideas for guild meetings

I will be president of our guild next year and could use ideas for programs, projects or just fun things you do at your guild meetings that I could incorporate for our guild. Also this is a whole year away but what do you do that is fun for your Christmas guild meeting. Always your help and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Sandygirl 11-01-2014 11:42 AM

Round Robin. 4 people to a team. Small project. 36 x 36 fir a lap quilt.

Christmas gift exchange: we exchange hand towels we decorate. Fun!

sandy

Tartan 11-01-2014 11:45 AM

I thought the post about a wallhanging challenge was interesting. I forget what the exact title was, (under the Yum Yum Tree ?) but each person brought a yard of fabric they didn't want. At the meeting the people were grouped in colour families I believe and then the yards were divided and they had to make something with their pieces.

mike'sgirl 11-01-2014 12:18 PM

Quarterly block. One member picks a block, makes it, and then passes out the pattern. Those interested make as many blocks as they choose. Then all names are put in the tin, and drawn. The winner gets all the blocks. Your name is added as many times as the number of blocks you made. It's a lot of fun.

Skyangel 11-01-2014 02:49 PM

One of the most fun meetings at our guild was "Quilt Bingo". We were supposed to make and bring our own "cards" using 2 1/2" squares. Black (free) in the center, first row red/pink, second yellow/orange, third green, fourth blue, fifth purple. various themes, floral, novelty, metallic, stripe/plaid, dots, ect. Then the bingo numbers called were "red stripe" or "blue floral" ect. There were donated prizes for getting bingo. After the game, all the cards were gathered up and they made charity quilts with them (sashed with black, stunning). There were even extra blocks made that you could buy one to play if you didn't make any to bring, and you could play as many as you made/bought. It was a blast.

We usually have a speaker at our meeting, and there is a program committee that arranges it. If you are a small guild, try to use your members (or local quilt shop owners) for programs. Surely someone collects antique quilts, or can demonstrate a technique they have learned. We generally do not have a December meeting but a potluck is always popular. How about a "quilty" item gift exchange with a $$ limit, just number them and draw numbers.

toverly 11-01-2014 03:16 PM

I know what not to do. A few Christmas ago, someone had the bright idea to get people to get to know each other and mix it up a bit. Everyone got a fabric swatch as they entered which matched a table fabric swatch. The idea was to get to know other people. Wrong. It was not fun not to sit with my friends and talk to them about their Christmas. Don't get me wrong. The idea would have been fine at another "table" meeting. Just not Christmas.

A few fun things that have been mentioned is have a cookie contest, a postcard swap, an ornament exchange.

Lori S 11-01-2014 04:10 PM

Host a fabric exchange, or fabric/book "yard" sale.

Pagzz 11-01-2014 06:14 PM

If we don't have a speaker my guild will have a school house were 6 -8 members agree to give mini lessons ie. crayons on fabric, needle turn applique, binding, making flying geese. Each lesson is 10 mins and every 10 mins a bell is rung and you move to a different table

jeaniedrain 11-01-2014 06:34 PM

We are a small group with many varing levels of experience. A couple times a year we have a guest speaker/teacher. The rest of the year the members will present/teach/demo a new technique. At our Christmas party we play dirty Santa and fat quarter craps. Spouses are invited. Ladies it is lots of fun watching the men play the games.

giquilt 11-01-2014 06:47 PM

We have a small Evening Guild. Each year we have members present programs. One of the programs we repeat each year is Tea and Things (from the Attic). A couple of members will be hostess responsible for the tea and breads or cake. All members bring their own cup (often a special cup) and an item from the attic. It can be a quilt (often passed down), needle work, knitted item, etc. We never seem to run out of Attic items.