Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for ideas on a Red/White Checkerboard quilt pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-ideas-red-white-checkerboard-quilt-pattern-t276701.html)

Snooze2978 03-14-2016 09:29 AM

Looking for ideas on a Red/White Checkerboard quilt pattern

I've been beating my head against the wall trying to think of a quilt pattern that resembles a checkerboard look. Yes, that's what this lady wants, a checkerboard quilt. So I've been collecting various reds and white/neutrals without having a clue what I was going to do with them yet. I was thinking of the hunter star, the Irish chain and a few others.

Loe and behold just this morning while cruising threw the various messages here I came across someone's avatar of a disappearing 4-patch. Now that resembles a checkerboard, right????

So thank you mystery person as I didn't look at your log-on name but just having it as your avatar was all I needed. Now I have a plan.

If anyone thinks this doesn't resemble a checkerboard please let me know and if you have any suggestions I'm still open for them as it will be awhile before I start this project. She's 4th on my list for this year.

Tartan 03-14-2016 10:24 AM

​That would work and maybe Square in a Square also?

dunster 03-14-2016 10:57 AM

If she wants a checkerboard, why not just give her a checkerboard? Alternating squares of white and red? (Of course the standard checkerboard is black and red - are you sure that isn't what she wants?)

cjsews 03-14-2016 11:25 AM

How about a 16 patch or 25 patch alternated with solid blocks?

ManiacQuilter2 03-14-2016 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
EB did a checkerboard quilt. You just do two types of 9 patches. I made this quilt using florals but it would be so simple just making a positive and negative 9 patch out of the two colors. This is in EB book Still Stripping and the pattern is called Nine Patch Party quilt

Snooze2978 03-14-2016 06:05 PM

Dunster, nope, she stated red and white checked and I feel a red and white blocks to be too plain even for me. I need something that will challenge me a little on every quilt I make. Haven't made a disappearing 4-patch yet. Loved my disappearing hourglass so much I'm tempted to make another one though I try not to make 2 from the same pattern.

QuiltnNan 03-14-2016 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
what about using the red/white for the background and applique something on it. similar to this?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]544827[/ATTACH]

quilting cat 03-14-2016 07:33 PM

I have an antique top that actually has blue and white 64-patch blocks (8x8, just like a real checkerboard) alternated with same sized plain blocks. I think the squares were cut 2". I like Nancy's idea, too, but would use a smaller applique!

sushi 03-14-2016 07:35 PM

You could use progressive shadings of red and white prints from one corner of the quilt to another. For example, you might start in one corner with a perfectly white square and gradually blend in red across the row until you place a deep red square (probably with a lot of black in the pattern) at the far corner. You could play with how you wanted the columns and rows to go together. Could be bargello style or "Trip Around the World" or whatever.

Personally, I love making quilts in which the prints transition from dark to light (and back again): Bargello, French Braid, etc.

RST 03-14-2016 07:51 PM

If someone says they want a checkerboard, I believe them and make them a checkerboard. Maybe she has visions of playing chess or checkers on the quilt. Just because it seems too simplistic to you, it doesn't mean that's not what she really wants and envisions using.

You can always find the challenge or new thing about this quilt in another aspect -- the quilting (free motion quilt a different checker motif in each square) or the binging (use a flange or some other treatment that is new to you) or the border treatment (do an appliqued vine or something interesting in the piecing of the border).