Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for a machine for travelling (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-machine-travelling-t269081.html)

sewbeadit 08-23-2015 12:46 AM

It may be best to get the Janome, I hear so many good things about them, I have a big one but not a traveling one, but since you have a dealer close by it may be a good thing.

Hcim55 08-23-2015 03:35 AM

I like my Janome lightweight...

Sally J 08-23-2015 07:04 AM

I have a Janome 3160. Weighs 11 lbs and is a full feature machine. It's a little price (sells for $699 at my store) but I've had mine for a year and never had a problem. At classes the room is filled with them as they are such a great full feature lightweight machine. Has a large sewing shelf that makes piecing and sewing so much easier. My friend also has a less expensive Janome Gem and loves it as just a piecing machine.

amandasgramma 08-23-2015 07:12 AM

I have the Janome Platinum 760 (I think that's the #)....We RV full time and I have made 3 quilts this past winter. :) I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Janome....It's lightweight and easy to use.

Annaquilts 08-23-2015 07:19 AM

Any of the Janome Gems, silver, Gold or Platinum. When I bought a janome Gem Silver there was an option to buy a quilting package. It had everything from the walking foot, detachable table and the case included. It also quilts great!

cathyvv 08-23-2015 10:04 AM

My Walmart Brother machines have lasted for a while with no problems. One, that I took on a trip, fell out of the car. It looked fine on the outside, but apparently suffered internal injuries. Not a big deal, as i only paid $89 for it new and it had lasted 6 years without a problem.

Well, there was one problem - me and my ignorance! I didn't know they had to be cleaned. It stopped sewing, so I took it apart to figure out what was wrong. There was 1/4" of packed lint under the needle plate. Cleaned it out and it ran like new again.

Now I clean my machines regularly. Lesson learned.

naosew 08-23-2015 10:28 AM

I agree with Sally J. I have had my 3160 for 4 yrs. & have never regretted buying it. It, too, is my "travel" machine but I also bring it in the living room when I want to watch something special on TV.

Veinurse 08-23-2015 11:17 AM

I have Brother, Janome, FW and 301's. Each on has traveled with me to retreats, AZ or church. If my daughter was in the Mts and near a Janome shop I definitely would go with the Janome. Maybe they even have a used one that you could get classes for. They have more metal in them than the Brother so I expect them to last longer. Lucky you to get to sew in a beautiful area.

athenascooter 08-23-2015 11:31 AM

I have three Janomes and love them. They are lightweight and easy to carry. I also have a 1975 Viking that I use to use but it is very heavy and I haven't used it for years. I would definitely go with the Janome. Let us know what you decided to do

Melanie Rudy 08-23-2015 04:34 PM

I travel with a small older model Pfaff. Pre-computer so I can plug it in anywhere and do not need a power bar. It has very basic stitches. It is a durable machine and I love it. You can get older Pfaffs online. If you choose this, be sure it is a model that was made in Germany.

Just remember that if you are doing a project on a certain machine, that it is best to do the whole project on the same one. Even a slight variation in seamlines can make a huge difference on a quilt top.