Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for a quilting frame. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-quilting-frame-t23011.html)

MarianA. 07-20-2009 06:11 AM

I have a Bernina 440 with a BSR. Can anyone suggest the best quilting frame I can buy to use with my machine.
Marian

RedGarnet222 07-20-2009 07:58 AM

Hi Hon,
I am pretty sure the intructional folder/book that came with your machine has all that info included in it for you. But, if for some reason it does not.... Look up the local bernina dealer in the phone book and give them a call. They are very helpful with these type of things and usually have them to sell there on hand.

Lacelady 07-20-2009 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
Hi Hon,
I am pretty sure the intructional folder/book that came with your machine has all that info included in it for you. But, if for some reason it does not.... Look up the local bernina dealer in the phone book and give them a call. They are very helpful with these type of things and usually have them to sell there on hand.

Hi, Marian, if you do find out, please could you post it, as I didn't get any of that kind of information, having bought my machine in Ireland.

feline fanatic 07-20-2009 08:35 AM

I was googling quilting frames the other day and just for the heck of it searched for "Bernina quilt frames". Apparently there is one, at least in the US. Grace frames makes if for Bernina. Try googling in the UK lacelady "bernina quilt frames" and you may get a hit.

FF

feline fanatic 07-20-2009 09:04 AM

Ooops, just googled it again for the heck of it, apparently that is for the new 820 model which is supposed to have a wider throat?

Lacelady 07-20-2009 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Ooops, just googled it again for the heck of it, apparently that is for the new 820 model which is supposed to have a wider throat?

Oh, I was just beginning to get excited! Never mind. If I was going to spend all that money on the 830, I wouldn't, I would buy a Gammil long arm.

Dodie 07-21-2009 07:42 AM

I have watched John Flynn quilt some of his quilts on his frame however I have read pros and cons on it but he does use an older Bernina with the smaller opening and you can find him at Flynnframeco.com Hope this helps
Dodie

feline fanatic 07-21-2009 07:46 AM

You got that right!! I almost choked when I was surfing around the web the other day and saw a price tag of over $11K for it?!?! I don't think that even included the frame, that was just for the machine.

Hey I am as big a Bernina fan as you will find but no way will I shell out that kind of money for it. I agree with you... If I had that kind of cash to throw around I'd get myself one of those really fancy long arm set ups. As it is I am having a hard time swallowing the budget model prices I am seeing of around $4,000. I wish I had a place around here that gave lessons and rental time on them so I can give it whirl and decide if I really want to pursue longarm machine quilting.

I could kick myself that about 5 or 6 years ago I was at a local quilt show and there was a vendor that sold frames that would work with the Bernina 153QE (which is the machine I have). Had it all set up for a test drive and everything. I tried it and thought to myself YEAH this would be great. Having no idea how much the longarm setups were, I found the price a bit steep for the set up (I think it was between $300 and $500 but can't be positive, those particular braincells are long gone it may have been more). Now that I know what I know I so wish I had bought it right then and there. I keep going back to that show every year hoping the same vendor will be there. Can't even remember the name to do an internet search. Next time I see a setup like that I am going for it. Until then I can dream.

FF

mytwopals 07-21-2009 07:57 AM

Since you already have the built-in stitch regulator, any frame built for use with a home sewing machine will work for you. The frames for the Viking and Pfaff machines are manufactured by Grace, for instance. They may have also manufactured the one for Bernina, I'm not certain. You can get a decent price on these at allbrands.com. Just a note of caution. If you want to quilt larger heavier quilts, go with a better built frame. The rollers on the cheaper frames tend to bow with the weight, making the quilt looser in the middle than on the ends. Also, because of the size of your machine's throat, you may need to turn the quilt around halfway thorugh it to maintain the ability to stitch larger areas.

Rose Marie 07-21-2009 11:46 AM

Dont do the Flynn frame. It is only good for small baby size. If you enlarge it, it becomes unmanageable. Can you imagine the whole quilt on one side of your machine? Also you have to have pcp pipe the right size to balance the frame on and it keeps falling off the table that you also have to have so the frame will roll as you go. Mine is stuffed in a closet never to see the light of day again.