Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for a quilting machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-quilting-machine-t284092.html)

Painiacs 11-28-2016 08:49 PM

What a great husband! I'd also add, does she want to do the entire quilt or does she want to sew the tops? You can do a complete quilt on a simple machine. Does she like all the bells and whistles or a simple machine? I have an old singer cast iron 15-91, does straight stich but a work horse. I've done entire quilts on it . I learned on it and still my favorite machine as I got better I bought a different machine that did more stitches but I don't want one with a ton of computer buttons and stitches. Is she a beginner? If so start simple then as she progresses let her find a more intricate machine. If she's experienced she might want to pick out a machine with you. My husband bought my singer on ebay for 75.00 n I love it use it almost every day!! Good luck let us know what she gets and what she thinks!! :)

jmoore 11-29-2016 05:18 AM

What a thoughtful Christmas gift...but I have to side with other members, I think a machine is a personal preference and the choices are endless for sit-down quilting machines. I'm sure she would be delighted with a check and I'm she would have a lot of fun researching her options after Christmas.

AZ Jane 11-29-2016 05:47 AM

Love the idea of shopping after Christmas, better bargains LOL. But you can research before the holiday! Buying a new sewing machine is a lot like buying a new car. Some can be almost as expensive or a Wal-Mart brand, both will get you from point A to point B.

salederer 11-29-2016 07:46 AM

My advice to you would be no matter who does the purchasing (you or your wife), the wider the throat space the better!

mac 11-29-2016 08:11 AM

You are a very special husband to want to buy your wife a new sewing machine for Christmas. But, alas, it is like picking out someone else's shoes; you never really know what will be a good fit. She may just enjoy you coming along and supporting her while she looks for a machine. That way you are part of the experience and it would make it more personal than if you just give her a check.

Ellen 1 11-29-2016 08:25 AM

Your original question was about purchasing a "quilting machine". All the responses are about a "sewing machine"
My question is: Whichh are you interested in purchasing?

Friday1961 11-29-2016 08:26 AM

>n my opinion, it is really really really not a good idea to buy a sewing machine for someone else. <

I so agree....unless you know her very well, including all her likes and dislikes about the tools of her hobby.

My husband, with my son's help, bought the Brother 450Q for me for Christmas a few years ago. Neither sews, and though both are mechanical, neither "knows" sewing machines. It was a demo at a local sewing machine shop and I think they got taken; this machine has been, I think, abused. It works and I've learned to like it, but would it have been my choice? Probably not. And it was expensive.

I'm sure you know best if you can make the choice your wife would make, however. Good luck! (And lucky woman, to have such a thoughtful husband!)

justflyingin 11-29-2016 11:44 AM

If my husband picked out a completely computerized 16" minimum long arm machine with frame...I'd be very, very happy and not even mind that I wasn't there to help! :)

Watson 11-29-2016 11:55 AM

And, could you drop a bug in my husbands ear about getting ME a long arm this Christmas ? LOL.
Watson

Pennyhal 11-29-2016 12:01 PM

I have a sit down quilting machine. The only advice I can give you is that you buy a machine that has a foot on it. The foot will help protect her fingers.