Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   looking for signature quilt ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-signature-quilt-ideas-t209902.html)

Becca 01-02-2013 09:56 AM

looking for signature quilt ideas

I would like to make a quilt for an upcoming family reunion and make a block for each family member to sign and date. Any ideas on a block design would be welcome. Thanks!

Grandma Bonnie 01-02-2013 04:13 PM

I think several people on here have used the snowball block and attic windows.

rosiewell 01-02-2013 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did this for a retiring teacher, she loved it!

fleurdelisquilts.com 01-02-2013 06:58 PM

A few years ago I received a "quilt" from my friends as a going away gift. There was a catch: the gift included MY making the quilt! It was a basket with all the fabrics, batting and backing for a quilt, and each one signed the backing fabric using a fabric marker. You could use the idea and have family members sign muslin backing. I do recommend that you make sure they sign inside the areas you plan to use: I lost a few signatures because they were so far away from the majority of names that they wouldn't fit even for a queen sized quilt. The one advantage is that I could put together any top I wanted because the names are on the opposite side. Good luck!

Valerie Scherr 01-02-2013 07:16 PM

in the Fons and Porters magazine Dec 2012 there was a kit for sale called a memory quilt for half price.

Tartan 01-02-2013 09:36 PM

I did a top using Bonnie Hunter's free basket weave quilt pattern from www.quiltville.com. It is a simple square block of strips but placing it on point makes it visually interesting. I used scrap strips with every other one a plain white strip for the signatures.

Scraplady 01-03-2013 05:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I did this one for my DD's wedding last August. Just finished and gave to them at Christmas. Very simple to piece. Having done this three times now, I thought I'd share a couple of tips. Iron your signature block fabric onto freezer paper, then cut the pieces generously oversized. Small pieces can be hard to work with. Draw a line with a washout pen that is at least 1/4" inside the eventual seam line. No matter how many times you tell people, somebody ALWAYS writes beyond the margin. This is one time when they really need to stay inside the lines. You may need to remind folks to write on the FABRIC side, NOT the paper side. Also, people are sometimes intimidated by writing on the fabric, I guess they're scared they're going to mess the quilt up, so provide plenty of extra pieces in case they feel the need to start over. You do wind up wasting some fabric this way, but it's well worth it. (There is a block in the quilt pictured that was supposed to be a "mess-up" but the groom's brother didn't throw the piece away, just left it lying on the table with all the other signed pieces. It looked okay to me so I included it in the quilt. I have since been informed of my error. Oh well, it's permanent now!)

Don't know what others may have to say, but I have used Sharpie ultra-fine point pens for mine. I've never yet had a problem and my DD's graduation quilt from 4 years ago is still going strong. She uses/washes it frequently. We'll see if the colors stand the test of time. If you use colors, do avoid the reds, they run (don't ask...) and the yellow and gold tend to fade. I always wash the quilt with Retayne or a dye-grabber sheet a couple of times.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]385546[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]385547[/ATTACH]

Gail B 01-03-2013 07:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am in the process of making this signature quilt for my GD's grade 12 grad.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]385563[/ATTACH]

Tartan 01-03-2013 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my Basket-weave Strings from www.quiltville.com.

dotski 01-04-2013 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Scraplady (Post 5758822)
I did this one for my DD's wedding last August. Just finished and gave to them at Christmas. Very simple to piece. Having done this three times now, I thought I'd share a couple of tips. Iron your signature block fabric onto freezer paper, then cut the pieces generously oversized. Small pieces can be hard to work with. Draw a line with a washout pen that is at least 1/4" inside the eventual seam line. No matter how many times you tell people, somebody ALWAYS writes beyond the margin. This is one time when they really need to stay inside the lines. You may need to remind folks to write on the FABRIC side, NOT the paper side. Also, people are sometimes intimidated by writing on the fabric, I guess they're scared they're going to mess the quilt up, so provide plenty of extra pieces in case they feel the need to start over. You do wind up wasting some fabric this way, but it's well worth it. (There is a block in the quilt pictured that was supposed to be a "mess-up" but the groom's brother didn't throw the piece away, just left it lying on the table with all the other signed pieces. It looked okay to me so I included it in the quilt. I have since been informed of my error. Oh well, it's permanent now!)

Don't know what others may have to say, but I have used Sharpie ultra-fine point pens for mine. I've never yet had a problem and my DD's graduation quilt from 4 years ago is still going strong. She uses/washes it frequently. We'll see if the colors stand the test of time. If you use colors, do avoid the reds, they run (don't ask...) and the yellow and gold tend to fade. I always wash the quilt with Retayne or a dye-grabber sheet a couple of times.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]385546[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]385547[/ATTACH]

i love this pattern what is the name of it or can you tell me measurments of the pieces. i have to make one for my godchilds baby shower.....have made 1 already but really didn't like it so i started another....well guess what she found out what she's having and the 2nd quilt i started is alot of pink.....and of course it's a boy !!!! thanks