Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for smooth and finer thread than Connecting Threads Essential Cotton?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-smooth-finer-thread-than-connecting-threads-essential-cotton-t203653.html)

quiltstringz 10-19-2012 12:40 PM

Oops forgot to mention that even though aurifil is a 50 wt thread it is a little thinner than CT

CorgiNole 10-19-2012 01:37 PM

I use Prescencia 60/3ply and I think it is a 75 needle.

Is there a reason you aren't using a larger needle?

Cheers, K

gollytwo 10-19-2012 01:45 PM

I am devoted to Aurifil 50 wt cotton thread (or Presencia 50 wt cotton) on top for machine piecing and Bottom Line, a very thin 60 wt Superior Threads poly, in the bobbin
I use Mettler cotton embroidery 60 wt for hand piecing
Connecting Threads have lovely colours, but are way too linty for me.

The only machine needles I use now are titanium 12s from Superior Threads

DogHouseMom 10-19-2012 03:21 PM

I've used both CT 50wt and Aurifil 50wt. Aurifil is a much thinner, finer 50wt - quite noticeable when you finger it. Part of the reason is that Aurifil is 2 ply and CT is 3 ply, but I think overall Aurifil is a better quality long staple than CT. I found CT to be so linty after just a few yards that I couldn't see what I was doing (and I was using a larger needle). I traded it all away and have converted to Aurifil.

When I look at a spool of CT I can see the little fuzzy hairs on the thread - still on the spool. It also has a dull finish. These reasons combined with the results of using the thread lead me to believe that it is not a quality long staple thread. Look at a spool of Aurifil - smooth, bright and lots of sheen to it. Beautiful stuff.

Silver Needle 10-19-2012 05:06 PM

I like Superior Threads' "Masterpiece Thread" for piecing.

Rose Marie 10-20-2012 07:31 AM

Connecting threads is thicker and breaks easy.
I use
Coats and Clarks and it works fine for both piecing and free motion. Its the better quality dual duty with the pop up top.

romanojg 10-20-2012 07:59 AM

The Aurifil is the same weight but it is only 2 ply where most are 3ply. It is a very strong thread though. I started using it because I was doing CW quilts and I couldn't get those little blocks to come out the right size. My teacher checked what I was doing and my cutting and piecing was right on. She suggested changing thread and I couldn't believe how much one less ply made a difference. I also applique with it because it blends better and its great for quilting. I have connecting thread for when size isn't such a factor and I normally use a universal needle even when I made my batik quilted jacket. You can't go wrong with Aurifil. Sometimes you do have to play around with the needle size.

IrishNY 10-20-2012 08:18 AM

I have always used Mettler silk-finish for piecing but recently decided to try Aurefil and am a convert! It was amazing how much longer each bobbin lasted before I had to change it so I saved time and could keep sewing. I am never going back.

I do use CT thread for my long arm and it loves it. I did try something else for one quilt and had a lot of trouble. I know CT is linty so I just clean out the bobbin area more often. It's worth to have thread that doesn't keep breaking.

Scissor Queen 10-20-2012 08:20 AM

I use Aurifil and Prescencia for piecing with a 75/11 quilting needle. The only time I use a smaller needle is with invisible threads and then I'll go down to a 60/8 microtex needle.

I just finished doing some blanket stitch with a size 12 thread and a 100/16 needle! I really could have used a bigger needle but that was the biggest one I had.