Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for suggestions? To finish this quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-suggestions-finish-quilt-top-t277588.html)

GEMRM 04-09-2016 03:41 PM

Looking for suggestions? To finish this quilt top

1 Attachment(s)
This partial quilt top is a WIP (work in progress) from a mystery quilt I'm participating in.
The original pattern calls for a border (6 1/2 inches) between the corners stones, in a colour that wasn't already used in the top. This went against my personal sense of order :D.
So, as I do not have enough of any of the featured fabrics to make a full 6 1/2 inch border, I am looking for ideas what to do......
My thoughts and those of a few friends are:
-Strip set of the component colours (like a rail?)
-Alternate borders with whichever colour I have enough of, i.e. one blue, one orange, one lime green....
-Piano key border of all the fabrics

I am not sure if something as linear as the rail or piano key would look like it belonged, when so much of the existing top is triangular or square.

BTW, this will be the final border.

Any and all ideas welcomed!

tesspug 04-09-2016 03:46 PM

Wonderful quilt, great piecing. I would go with something simpler than piano keys. Give the eye a place to rest. Perhaps a thin orange then a wider of the lime green.

cjsews 04-09-2016 04:07 PM

I think three strips of equal width would look good. Not sure which colors I would use. Possibly the dark blue on the 2 outer strips of the set with one of the other colors in the quilt in the middle

Doggramma 04-09-2016 04:13 PM

Really pretty bright colors! I think piano key would be too busy. I would do a plain skinnier border in whatever color you have enough of from colors already in your top. The dark blue would be restful.

Tartan 04-09-2016 04:28 PM

How about a 6 1/2 inch border using the white as a background and the staggered flying geese in the colours from the other blocks? I am not sure if they are called staggered but the flying geese that make a undulating path by varying the length of the background fabric. Neat WIP!

wesing 04-09-2016 04:57 PM

How about a narrow white border, maybe 2", then your 6.5" made up of HST. The ones on the right would point right, and the left ones to the left, sort of a sawtooth look.

quiltlady1941 04-09-2016 06:32 PM

very pretty quilt, love the colors, I think piano border would look great using all the colors in your quilt

cathyvv 04-09-2016 07:26 PM

My suggestion is to find a dark blue that matches or comes close to the dark blue in the blocks. It would set off the quilt nicely. The piano keys might be too much and overpower the beauty of the quilt center.

RedGarnet222 04-09-2016 08:09 PM

Why not make some more of the blue blocks and surround it to make the blocks look like they are floating? I think that would look great!

Bree123 04-09-2016 09:17 PM

I'd consider doing appliqued borders with vines & flowers on either a white or grey background.