Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking to trade my 1yd of fabric for yours - iso deep purple (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-trade-my-1yd-fabric-yours-iso-deep-purple-t109560.html)

linz83 03-21-2011 04:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I am still a newbie to quiting and I have not acquired a "stash",
I bought this material for my next project and It turns out I hate it! Dont get me wrong it, its pretty fabric but It doesnt match the rest of the materials.

It is 1yd of quality quilt store material . .

I need a purple with not soo much white.

Cant afford to go pick out more but if anyone is intrested in swapping I'd love to see what you have.

Just thought I would try here first before I have to put this project aside till payday. thanks

this is my theme material
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173072[/ATTACH]

This is my whole collection for this quilt, the purple just doesnt flow
[ATTACH=CONFIG]173073[/ATTACH]

crafty_linda_b 03-21-2011 04:50 PM

OH I love it..just wish I had something to trade ya for it...Good luck..Linda B.

carolaug 03-21-2011 05:02 PM

I love it,...but have nothing purple in my stash...not yet anyways...LOL

Deb watkins 03-21-2011 05:05 PM

It is really pretty. Why not just keep it for your first stash build? I am sure you will find something later on that it will fit perfectly with.

Jan in VA 03-21-2011 05:18 PM

Ask yourself as you look at the color you want to replace...."can it be darker?"
One reason you may not like this purple is because all your fabrics are in the MEDIUM value range; this is not a fault, it's very common to beginning quilters *and* many long timers.

Most blocks/quilts have better visual appeal if they have more CONTRAST between the colors chosen. Practice "seeing" this truth by playing around with the fabrics you DO have, and with other colorful objects - even paint chips!

Pick a color (try red maybe), then in the reds chose a LIGHT (baby pink, right?), a MEDIUM (true red?), then a DARK (how about burgundy/rust?).
Notice how contrasting they are to each other.
Notice how they affect the value of the fabric placed next to them when they are paired together.

To take it further, try placing a value between each of the three so that you have a 5-step color study. Practice this trick when you fabric shop, or even just do it for training without making purchases for a while.

Personally, when I look at your theme fabric I see a dark blue calling.
You're doing great, keep at it!

Jan in VA

SewMomma66 03-21-2011 05:46 PM

Check out my finds at Goodwill. Title is "I struck gold!!! Picture." See if you like any and I can take a better picture. I purchased this at Goodwill so if you want more than one no problem. I want to be fair. Personally I think you should leave the purple but it is your choice. I love the civil war fabric.

linz83 03-22-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Ask yourself as you look at the color you want to replace...."can it be darker?"
One reason you may not like this purple is because all your fabrics are in the MEDIUM value range; this is not a fault, it's very common to beginning quilters *and* many long timers.

Pick a color (try red maybe), then in the reds chose a LIGHT (baby pink, right?), a MEDIUM (true red?), then a DARK (how about burgundy/rust?).
Notice how contrasting they are to each other.
Notice how they affect the value of the fabric placed next to them when they are paired together.

To take it further, try placing a value between each of the three so that you have a 5-step color study. Practice this trick when you fabric shop, or even just do it for training without making purchases for a while.

Personally, when I look at your theme fabric I see a dark blue calling.
You're doing great, keep at it!

Jan in VA

Thank you for all your imput. sometimes when i am at a fabric store it a little like a kid in a candy store.
When I bought this material i didnt have my theme matrial with me (and i knew better)
So I guess I will have to make the best of it.
THanks everyone for looking and for all you help.