Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for a travel machine... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-travel-machine-t242656.html)

romille 03-06-2014 10:09 AM

Looking for a travel machine...

So I had a Bernette 25, but I sold it when I got my new Pfaff Creative Performance because my husband kept saying I didn't need two machines. Well, I wish I had kept it. I just started going to classes, and I don't want to lug my heavy/expensive machine with me every time. Now I am looking at travel friendly machines. I would love to find one that had some of the fancier features of my Pfaff, but was lightweight.

Things I would love to have:
- automatic thread cutters
- built in walking foot (Pfaff's IDT has spoiled me)
- automatic tension control
- "shadow-free" LED lights
- needle-down setting
- speed control
- automatic tie-off
- a small extension table

I don't give a flip about fancy stitches or buttonholes. I just want something for taking to classes where I will just be piecing blocks or making projects like bags. If I needed something more I could always lug my big machine.

Suggestions?

Skratchie 03-06-2014 10:11 AM

This is why I never listen to my husband when it comes to sewing machines. ;-) LOL

May I ask what your budget might be, or if you're willing to consider a used machine?

romille 03-06-2014 10:14 AM

I would definitely consider a used machine. I am honestly not sure what my budget is, at this point I am just researching to see what the options are and what the prices would be. I am thinking no more than $600, but the cheaper the better as I will have to convince Mr. You Don't Need Two Machines...

PlanoDebbie 03-06-2014 12:21 PM

I sure wish I had a back-up machine as well. Took my good one in for a cleaning and won't get it back for two weeks. I feel so lost without it.

aborning 03-06-2014 12:37 PM

There was just a thread on here about the Pfaff Pasport. I have the Pfaff Essential Ambition which I bought on sale for $599 last July. The Passport was recently on sale for $500 or $599. I ahve 2 Pfaff Essential Ambitions. One to stay set up and one to use for travel. I love that machine. Maybe you could find a floor model at a Dealer at areasonable price for either the Essetail Ambition or the Passport.

loisf 03-06-2014 12:41 PM

I have a Janome Jem Platinum that has most of the features you want. It weighs only 12 pounds. Sews great. Has been a little workhorse for me. Cost is between $450 and $500. I left mine at our condo in Hawaii this year so it will be ready for my three month stay there next year. Retirement, here I come.

Skratchie 03-06-2014 03:06 PM

I think that if you want one with the IDT, and you already have a Pfaff, I would go with the Passport. It does fit in your budget, and it's a cool little machine - I looked at one recently.

Tartan 03-06-2014 04:20 PM

No idea on a machine but I want my time machine to sit beside my money tree.:)

AliKat 03-06-2014 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by aborning (Post 6612720)
There was just a thread on here about the Pfaff Pasport. I have the Pfaff Essential Ambition which I bought on sale for $599 last July. The Passport was recently on sale for $500 or $599. I ahve 2 Pfaff Essential Ambitions. One to stay set up and one to use for travel. I love that machine. Maybe you could find a floor model at a Dealer at areasonable price for either the Essetail Ambition or the Passport.

A f riend and I both got Passports this past Fall?/winter. We both have arthritis but wanted smaller machines that would do more than my FW. We absolutely love them.

Ginaky 03-06-2014 04:52 PM

I also love my Passport. I've been a Pfaff girl since the mid 70's and never been disappointed with them. I currently own the 1473CD, QE 4.0 and the Passport.