Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for a weekend retreat quilt class, maybe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-weekend-retreat-quilt-class-maybe-t178267.html)

nhweaver 02-05-2012 02:50 PM

Looking for a weekend retreat quilt class, maybe

I would like to attend a weekend retreat quilt class, but feel kind of shy. I don't have a good quilter friend, so I would have to attend by myself. Is there a web site for retreats, or can anyone recommend one that they attended and enjoyed? Does anyone know of a retreat that would be "single" friendly?

DonnaR 02-05-2012 03:04 PM

I remember the first time I went to a state guild retreat, I went by my self. But I wasn't a stranger very long. Everyone was so friendly and nice. When they found out I was by myself they invited me to sit with them, eat with them and I had a great time. I have also been to several with a friend. Had a great time always. Is there a quilt guild near you that offers retreats? Also you can check with local quilt shops and look on the internet for retreats in your area. Good luck finding one, I know you will enjoy it.

Drue 02-05-2012 03:07 PM

We have one that some members of our guild are going to, but it may be a little far for you. It's April 19-22 but it's close to Canton, Texas. However, with the weather y'all have up there, you might be interested!

Hope you find a good one!

Hugs, Drue

sweetana3 02-05-2012 05:17 PM

I travel all over for all kinds of classes and retreats. Seldom does hubby go. I have gone to VT, AZ, FL, NC, IN, WI, AK, etc. and the only thing to be sure of is that quilters are almost always nice and welcoming.

I loved the NC State yearly conference since it moves around the state and is held at colleges so the cost for rooma and meals is reasonable. I loved Quilting in the Pines in Flagstaff. A whole week of classes and again in a college and reasonable even with airfare and car.

I keep it reasonably local if only a long weekend but will travel distances for a week of quilting.

The best place to start is with all your local guilds and fabric shops. Just keep asking and leaving your name.

I found the best ever retreat by doing an internet search and committing to a 5.5 hour drive to get there. We stay from Monday thru Friday and it is wonderful. This is my fourth year in a row.

Gwen Marston has a week retreat in Upper Michigan. Quilters come from all over the USA to go to one of her weekly retreats. John C. Campbell Folk School in NC has wonderful quilt classes. I think Georgia Bonesteel is coming in August?? It is like a cruise on land. All inclusive. Check them out on www.folkschool.org.

lfstamper 02-05-2012 05:19 PM

Check out your local guild to find out where folks go in your area. Don't be shy as you already have an instant bond with quilting and I am sure you can share lots too.

Holice 02-05-2012 05:29 PM

how far are you willing to travel

Sunnie 02-05-2012 05:50 PM

I'm in same boat as nhweaver. No quilty friends. I would also love to find a long weekend retreat. I have no problem driving 5 hours one way.

nycquilter 02-05-2012 06:25 PM

check out this site. I go on one of the retreats every year and have for more than 10 years. Oh, yeah, she is in Delaware, too.

Sunnie 02-06-2012 04:40 AM

nycquilter - can you post the link?