Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   loopies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/loopies-t24047.html)

butterflywing 08-11-2009 07:53 PM

a friend has the same longarm as i have. the tin lizzie 18sl.

she has never had problems with it before, but now she's getting loopies all over the back. she checked the tension, rethreaded, changed the needle, cleaned everything (she does that between every quilt, anyway). still can't get it to cooperate.

any suggestions?

Maride 08-12-2009 05:25 AM

The only times I have had loopies is when the tension os off. It may be just a hair off, but it happens. Also there may be a small thread caught somewhere on the path of the thread, affecting the tension.

One more suggestion is to try with different threads and see if you still get the loopies.

Maria

butterflywing 08-12-2009 05:44 AM

i suggested all that. she's trying again. with that it's always been tension, because of thread change. thanks.

Stitching4Fun 08-12-2009 05:47 AM

I have had problems like that at times.......I have the Hobby Quilter by Nolting..............I have had the "loopie" problem at times, and I found it was the thread. If I changed the thread it sewed fine, so she might want to try that also.

barb

butterflywing 08-12-2009 05:52 AM

i'll let her know. thanks.

Joan 08-12-2009 06:40 AM

I had that problem after a "long" day at a machine quilting class. I discover that the problem was "cheap" thread and that my bobbin area was a mess and clogged up with short pieces of thread. Once it was thoroughly cleaned out, I had no further problem. It made me a believer about using good quality (yes, I know the expensive stuff) thread.

Justquilting 08-12-2009 06:58 AM

Everytime I've had a loopy on the bottom is cause of top tension.
Now I've learned to put a scrap on the side to practice
before I start to quilt.
It saves alot of time.
I learned the hard way & alot of ripping out to look under the quilt more often to see what going on under there

Maride 08-12-2009 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Justquilting
Everytime I've had a loopy on the bottom is cause of top tension.
Now I've learned to put a scrap on the side to practice
before I start to quilt.
It saves alot of time.
I learned the hard way & alot of ripping out to look under the quilt more often to see what going on under there

I love your avatar. I also have a Boston Terrier named Cow. He is known all over town.

Maria

crashnquilt 08-12-2009 08:51 AM

I would suggest she put a drop of oil on the bobbin hook. Without thread in the machine and the case out of the bobbin run the machine at full speed. She may have a piece of lint caught and this will throw it out.

Also, put a tiny drop of oil on the end of your finger and rub this on the outside of the bobbin case.

If none of the above suggestions help then I would say the machine is out of time.

amma 08-12-2009 10:05 AM

I had thread issues once, it was working fine, but apparently there was a section of the spool that was not "right" and after trying everything I threw out the remaining thread and had no more problems.