Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Loss of an online fabric search engine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/loss-online-fabric-search-engine-t319891.html)

oh2sew 01-25-2023 07:27 AM

Quiltshops.com shutdown on December 31. Fabric Shack did purchase the domain name (after it was shutdown). They are not sure at this time what they are going to do with it. I messaged them to find this out.

I was trying to search for shops that have a large amount of Kaffe Fasset/Philip Jacobs/Brandon Mably fabrics and sell either fat quarters or 1/4 yards. I used to use Quiltshops.com for things like this :(

peaceandjoy 01-26-2023 08:37 AM

cdmiree - I haven't seen anything like it. :( There's fabshophop.com, but I've never had good luck with that.

oh2sew - thanks for actually checking into it and letting us know. I already miss it, having tried to find it a couple of times since the change. Drat.

cheffer45 01-27-2023 10:10 AM

I never had good luck with fabshophop either. Sad that quiltshops.com is no longer in service. It was a great fabric finder and comparison shopping tool. It will be missed.

joe'smom 01-28-2023 09:02 AM

Not quite on topic, but I was disappointed recently to see that Fabric Shack had made major revisions to their website. No more buying fabric by decimal (which allowed the purchase of as little as 1/8 yd.). Now it is the more usual 1/4 yd. increments, though it's nice that they still allow purchase of 1/4 yd., plus they have a fat quarter option now, too. But I'll miss my 1/3 yd option, which is what I used most often. Also, the site is more slow-moving now, and they've eliminated the listing of collections by newest to oldest, which made shopping nice and quick because it was easy to remember what you'd already looked at. I haven't checked to see if they've revised their color search engine, which was excellent before.

quiltmama22 01-29-2023 12:26 PM

What about Thousandsofbolts.com?

ibex94 02-03-2023 05:51 PM

thousands of bolts is a great place to go if you want to search by color. Otherwise, I don't find a lot of different novelty type fabrics that pop up on the search. That doesn't mean they don't have them. Their search engine is geared to colors. My favorite shops, because they have great search engines and stock a lot of fabric, are Over the Rainbow and eQuilter. Hancock's of Paducah is a good one, too. The joy of the quiltshop.com website was finding sales for the fabrics I was hoping to find. Going through fabshophop store by store searching takes a really long time. However, you can create a list of favorite shops that you can go back to check with especially if you noted why you were making it a favorite for your list.

Wildernessties 03-04-2023 11:57 AM

For months I've kept trying to log into quiltshops.com with no luck so I was very happy to find this post. I wish I'd found it sooner. I loved quiltshops.com as I often search for fabric by theme such as science, computer, moose, farm, etc. That way I could find prints in multiple shops with just a single search. I've tried the FabHopShop but it isn't very good for me. I find I often now go to a website like Etsy or Ebay to search for what I want. Ibex94 mentioned some good shops, all of which I've used. On Over the Rainbow you used to be able to order fractions of a yard like 5/8 although I'm not sure if they went smaller than 1/2 yd. I haven't tried this lately so I don't know if it still works or not. They seem to have two websites and it only worked on their older site.

I do like Etsy as sellers often offer free shipping on orders over $35. It isn't hard to get to $35 any more and that allows me to get an extra piece of fabric for almost free. In other words if my order is $30 and they add $8 for shipping for a total of $38, I may as well add another piece of fabric to my cart to get a total of $35 or $36 and I get more fabric for less month. That's my kind of shopping. Most quilt shops don't offer the free shipping unless orders are at least $75 - 100.

I haven't been on here for a couple years but I am reminded that I need to check this site out far more often. There is so much good information here. Thanks for all the previous posts.

ibex94 03-04-2023 02:52 PM

Hi Wildernessties -- Over the Rainbow has eliminated their first/older website now. As busy as they are, I am surprised they kept both websites up and running as long as they did.

aashley333 03-05-2023 03:41 AM

I was going to vent about Keepsakequilting.com in the personal section, but here seems appropriate! I ordered 15 pieces of fabric, several wide backings 2 1/2 yards because none of my 2 yard pieces were long enough. One was a green one for backing shell quilt. Only 12 pieces arrived. Called. "Oh, those are backordered. They will arrive probably in April."!! They were nice and gave me a $20 discount/refund for my troubles.
Ok. So, I chose a different wide back that did arrive and started sandwiching quilt. It was 2 yards 9 inches! I didn't check/measure the fabrics when they arrived. Called again. They are sending a replacement 2 1/2 yards. I miss fabric.com. I expect to receive what I pay for. Who checks that their fabric is cut accurately?

Wildernessties 03-10-2023 11:51 AM

I don't usually measure what I get but maybe I should check. I have measured occasionally and didn't find a problem. I'd never heard of keepsakequilting.com. I've had very good luck with Over the Rainbow, Hancocks (although they are a bit slow to ship) and the many shops I've purchased from on Etsy. I like Etsy shops as most offer free shipping over $35 purchase.