Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lost quilts in the mail (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lost-quilts-mail-t156974.html)

ghostrider 09-30-2011 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
PO used to have auctions of lost mail, I wonder if they still do that?

Yes, but only at the three mail recovery centers in Atlanta, St. Paul and San Francisco. They tried eBay for awhile in 2002 as well, and learned that some things do much better online (e.g., comic books), while others do better in person (e.g., airplane parts). They stopped with eBay, but haven't given up on the selling online idea I guess. Who knows, if they get enough quilts and such, maybe they'll open an Etsy shop! :lol:

blueangel 09-30-2011 09:16 AM

How sad

erstan947 09-30-2011 09:54 AM

I worked for the USPS and many undelivered packaged were not addressed correctly. Just a thought.....double check all addresses:)

QuiltQtrs 09-30-2011 10:08 AM

At one time I mailed 3 hand-quilted projects, and had proof by signature
they were received at the buyer's place of employment. However, the box
was never found until almost a year later in their storeroom. Luckily the
buyer did pay for them and did her own investigation within the building.

ecmoore 09-30-2011 10:35 AM

Keep in mind that the rules regarding "lost mail" (both lost and undeliverable) for Canada Post and the USPS are quite different. USPS has a lot of mandates regarding lost items finding their owners, whereas Canada doesn't have nearly as many. They recover what they can (I've seen some really neat envelopes that have been recovered from mail ships sunk in the Great lakes) but it isn't as intensive as other national post services.

Make sure the item is in a sturdy box, with some waterproofing (whether it's that the quilt is in a "space bag", clear garbage bag, or what have you.) Make sure that an address is physically attached to the quilt, with safety pins or the like, in case the outer coating(s) is(are) ruined.

If sending via postal mail, no matter the country (or countries) involved, ALWAYS let the recipient know that it is coming, get a tracking number if you can (usually this won't cross borders), and request a "signature required" or an A/R (Advise of Receipt) card.

For shipping in Canada, keep in mind that Purolator is run by Canada Post, and thus items can be picked up / dropped off for them at regular mail counters, and the service is about on par. (I don't see this as a good thing, to be honest.) With Fed/Ex, the individual item is scanned. With Purolator and Canada Post, it's done on a more bulk / less specific basis, where basically entire truckloads are signed in and out of locations at once - a much greater chance for loss. It's very, very easy to end up with things lost in the shuffle (an ex worked for purolator seasonally - it was a real eye opener. Some of them literally played baseball with packages.) This is why I really prefer to send via FedEx ground in Canada. Takes longer, but less of a chance for loss.

Bonbonary 09-30-2011 11:09 AM

I think it would be a good idea to put another label inside the box (showing who it is from and who it is to). Then if the outside box gets ruined, they will still have access to sender, etc.

Zhillslady 09-30-2011 11:45 AM

You can add delivery confirmation to any package for around $1.80. That package gets scanned everywhere it stops according to our local office. Seems it would be easier to locate if you knew where it was last.

dogpursemaker 09-30-2011 06:54 PM

Delivery confirmation cannot be added to packages being sent internationally if they are sent first class. Priority and Express only. I sure wish there was a cheaper way to track packages outside the USA!

damaquilts 10-01-2011 05:09 AM

I have been told I over pack. lol But to me if I am sending something I want it to get there in one piece. If I am sending a book or a yard or so of fabric I don't "over pack" usually manila envelope with the book wrapped in plastic. However if I am sending a package the address is on or in that package at least 4 times. It is taped to the outside, taped to the inside , it is folded into what ever I am sending, it is taped on the outside of the plastic that wraps whatever is being sent. And sometimes for good measure I will slide another in the box just before I tape it shut. Then I tape the bejabbers out of the box.

doll-lady 10-01-2011 05:31 AM

it would be a shame to lose a quilt or other real valuable.