Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Love This Cheater Quilt Fabric -But..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/love-cheater-quilt-fabric-but-t156510.html)

JUNEC 09-28-2011 09:08 AM

4 Attachment(s)
How would you use it to make a quilt top.

I love the fabric & print - had no idea when I purchased it that they were off set rectangles

Each square measures 20 3/4" wide by 23 1/2" tall-

I have about 4 1/2 yds of this fabric

I am not sure if I should cut the squares out - but I love the offset look

What colors should I use??
HELP!!!!

roseOfsharon 09-28-2011 09:10 AM

I would hand quilt around the flowers and cut by squares and add some of your own blocks to it.

MrsM 09-28-2011 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
I would hand quilt around the flowers and cut by squares and add some of your own blocks to it.

That's what I think too. Pull colors from the flower blocks and create some fun blocks or use white on white fabric for the inbetween blocks.

quiltsRfun 09-28-2011 09:14 AM

Cut them apart and use with sashing strips.

jrhboxers 09-28-2011 09:14 AM

Find a nice fabric for sashing around the blocks and outline quilt on the flowers. You might want to trapunto the larger flowers to make them stand out more - like they are in the front of the arrangments. It would give them some depth.

Tartan 09-28-2011 09:15 AM

Seeing it has the 1/2 sashing between the blocks, I would cut them apart. I would then look for similar fabrics out of the floral squares and do connecting blocks/sashing between them. Perhaps flying geese in nice fall colours like the floral blocks? As you have 4 1/2 yards, you could also use it for backing to make a reversible quilt.

blueangel 09-28-2011 09:16 AM

Beautiful fabric

May in Jersey 09-28-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Cut them apart and use with sashing strips.

Think this way would make a great looking quilt.

luvspaper 09-28-2011 10:36 AM

I'd be tempted to use a large one in the middle and then take some of the other outside ones and cut some flowers out and use as raw edge appliques in other blocks/formats if you can find a matching background.

It seems you have plenty so, you could do say 4 daisies in one block, etc. And if you used fusible before cutting, you wouldn't lose any of the size. Or you could cut the seam allowance and do needleturn too. But that might look weird with the large one.

Ohh Ohh...another idea....use some to do as needle turn on top of the large one....to make it more 3 d.....

Jo M 09-28-2011 10:48 AM

Not sure how to explain this, but here goes. If you want to cheat and keep the squares offset -- Leave the squares intact, except in the corners where you would have to cut a block in half to square up the quilt, cut that square out. In its place, add a matching blue rectangle and applique 2 or 3 of the flowers from the square you cut out. So each corner of the quilt would have the blue rectangles w/applique. Does this make sense?

Just a thought.