Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Love doing notions and gadgets reviews: please help with suggestions! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/love-doing-notions-gadgets-reviews-please-help-suggestions-t166740.html)

Quiltingthetownred 11-07-2011 03:53 AM

Love doing notions and gadgets reviews: please help with suggestions!

Hi everybody,

I am addicted to notions and books. But notions and gadgets are my biggest pitfall. I love to test them, try them and now I started to report about them on my blog. As I live in the Netherlands, not all notions are available here. And the weirdest thimbles that might work, the strangest needles, the tiniest scissors, I love to try them!

Would you be willing to suggest me what to try? I might not have heard of it. Please reply with all kinds of notions, thimbles, awls, binding systems etc, and I will find out how to get them and try them. No, you don't have to send me your favorite thimble, it's just that I love to experiment.

When you have a suggestion, please let me know. I'll find a way to check them out!!!

Thanks and have fun quilting!

Anymart

mimiknoxtaylor 11-07-2011 03:56 AM

My most used notion (other than my rotary cutter & rulers) is an old metal nail file instead of a stylus to help keep seams flat, etc at the sewing machine

SueDor 11-07-2011 04:50 AM

How about trying out the best binding tool? I've seen a lot but so far I like the one Missouri Quilt co youtubed. (The binding tool) Can't think of anything else right at this time.

luvTooQuilt 11-07-2011 04:54 AM

I saw a really neat new ruler/template for perfect mitered corners.. it looks like a triangle ruler next to a sq ruler ..... Wish I remembered the name.. it was pretty neat.. I figured my own way of mitering or I would of bought one..

Quiltingthetownred 11-07-2011 06:54 AM

Was that the EZ bias ruler? It is on my list. I have it, and without manual it keeps being difficult. Great to remind me of that one!

Quiltingthetownred 11-07-2011 06:55 AM

Thanks, we do not have any binding tools in the Netherlands as far as I know, but I will trace some!

Quiltingthetownred 11-07-2011 06:56 AM

;-)
I use a bamboo skewer instead of an awl for applique. Household items keep being attractive for use in quilting!

Connie M. 11-07-2011 07:25 AM

I use bamboo skewers also. They are inexpensive and if you happen to hit it with a needle, it doesn't break the needle and you can just throw the skewer away. Just a word of warning, watch out for bamboo splinters. Those fine little buggers can be nasty. I also use disposable scalpels for seam rippers. I get them at a local surgical supply store that sells to the public. They are very inexpensive andf when they get dull just throw them away, or sharpen them a bit with an emory board. Caution: they are a scalpel, thus VERY sharp.

gigi10 11-07-2011 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltingthetownred (Post 4646271)
;-)
I use a bamboo skewer instead of an awl for applique. Household items keep being attractive for use in quilting!

me too. I use a bamboo stick.