Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Love my cats... but.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/love-my-cats-but-t186400.html)

Raggiemom 04-17-2012 02:05 PM

I use an old cat brush to brush the fur off where my four ragdolls lay. It works really well. Good luck and glad you're able to quilt again.

Elainequilts 04-17-2012 02:10 PM

Use a latex glove and rub off. Also rubber tipped broom.

jaciqltznok 04-17-2012 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hinterland (Post 5148956)
Pledge makes a pet fur remover that works really well. They call it the Pledge Fabric Sweeper. The downside is that it's expensive, $12 (cheaper through Amazon). But, you can empty it when it's full. Scotch also makes the Fur Fighter. I like the Pledge product better.

Janet

I LOVE this thing on my sofa...should be great on a quilt!

bearisgray 04-17-2012 02:24 PM

Amazing how much hair can come off an animal - and they still look like they have a decent coat!

auntpiggylpn 04-17-2012 04:15 PM

Try a slightly dampened sponge. A few years ago, I bought a sponge block in the cat dept at the local pet store just to remove the hair off my dark eggplant chenille furniture. It worked well but as usual, it eventually turned up missing. Now I just take a regular sponge, wet it and then wring the heck out of it to get any excess water out of it. It works just as well as the one that I paid more money for!!

Scissor Queen 04-17-2012 05:29 PM

The very best thing I've found for cat fur removal is the Scotch 3M Fur Fighter. I have a large, long haired black cat. It'll pull cat fur out of fabric you can't even see!

Dolphyngyrl 04-17-2012 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5149047)
Living with a Saint Bernard I have ...well issues. I use a slightly damp terry wash cloth to first get the big stuff off. I Wipe the item with the damp cloth. Then if I have moistened the item I let it dry then use the tape roller to remove any remaining hair.

I work with animals and this is what I do at work when I get covered in hair

Havplenty 04-17-2012 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5149059)
A glove that you use to wash dishes will work to remove pet hair.

latex gloves work great. you can even use them on your animals to help rid them of their loose hairs. of course i take my cats outside on the back porch to rub them down with the gloves and let the hair blow in the wind. the birds use the hair for their nests so it gets recycled.:)

Bicycle Hobo 04-17-2012 09:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Suggestion: I have now switched to cat (and dog) proof utility quilts like the strippy rag one photographed below and don't even consider making anything else in this animal loving home environment. I live in peace with the little devils now (and cotton flannel does not attract cat/dog hair like I thought it would-even with a black background):

burchquilts 04-18-2012 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5149047)
Living with a Saint Bernard I have ...well issues. I use a slightly damp terry wash cloth to first get the big stuff off. I Wipe the item with the damp cloth. Then if I have moistened the item I let it dry then use the tape roller to remove any remaining hair.

Who knew a Lab/Basset hound would shed worse than a Golden Retriever? Well, my Leo loves to *help* so I know from dog hair... LOL! I, too, use a slightly damp rag of some sort & then a roller. I recently got a fabulous re-usable roller at Wal-Mart. Instead of sticky tape stuff, it has a kind of heavy velvet fabric that really works. Then you twist it & the hair all goes into a compartment that you then empty out. It's GREAT!

Feel better! BTW... I think your kitty was just keeping your quilt company while Mommy was gone... LOL!