Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Low-End Sewing Machine Recommendation (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/low-end-sewing-machine-recommendation-t264792.html)

thyme2quilt 05-03-2015 07:48 AM

Low-End Sewing Machine Recommendation

My son wants to get a sewing machine for his wife for her birthday. He asked me for a recommendation and I don't think I can help him. It's been awhile since I've been machine shopping. But I said I knew who would be able to help! QB!

He doesn't want anything fancy and would like to stay in the $100-$300 range. Is that even possible? I guess I'm looking for personal experience with a low-end, reliable machine. I used to have a Kenmore that I loved! But I don't know the quality of them now or even if they're around anymore.

Thank you for your help.

Prism99 05-03-2015 07:52 AM

Kenmores are long gone. In that price range a Brother from Walmart would be his best bet.

Onebyone 05-03-2015 08:01 AM

I would suggest a Janome Jem. They are $200 on Amazon and are very good machines.

Sally J 05-03-2015 08:22 AM

I agree about a low end Janome or even a Brother. I have a low end Brother and love it but lots of my friends have the Jem and also love them.

Peckish 05-03-2015 08:25 AM

My advice is to get the best machine for the money. If she is a beginning sewer (sewist, whatever) and has struggles with a low-end cheapo piece of garbage machine, that could kill her interest. Check with the local quilt shops, guilds, and dealers to see if there is a gently used mid-level machine within his price range.

Another thought - years ago, my husband got me a re-manufactured Brother from Overstock, and that little machine was my daily driver for 8 years, until I got my big Brother 1500. I still use that little machine every now and then, it works great.

willferg 05-03-2015 08:33 AM

I'd suggest he go to the local Janome dealer and buy something in his price range there, so that she can go back for help and instruction afterwards. You can get a decent machine with stitches and extras for that price range, and I have found Janome to be reliable and easy to understand.

mea12 05-03-2015 09:05 AM

Another vote for going the Janome route. Some of the low-end janomes have pre-set stitches that can't be adjusted in length and width but they are sturdy and made well. Most are vertical bobbins such as 2206 and 2212. The Jem Gold at $200 or the MyStyle 100 at $200-$250 have drop-in bobbins and positive reviews. There are Brother machines below $300 that have more stitches and features and those machines work out well most of the time but do not have the consistent track record of the more basic Janomes at the same price point.

Macybaby 05-03-2015 10:53 AM

Kenmore's are not long gone, you can pick up vintage ones quite easily for that price. And often, that is going to be the best machine for that range of money. Go over to the vintage section and ask that question. Easy enough to fix and get up and running.

psychonurse 05-03-2015 11:38 AM

I vote vintage Kenmore also. he will have to be looking at yard sales, Craigs list etc. I found one last summer, with all attachments, including cabinet and stool for $45 . a bargain to say the least. the Singer store I know has vintage
singers he rehabs and resells.

thyme2quilt 05-03-2015 12:23 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. I wish my son had the time to look for a used machine. With his schedule, it will have to be a quick buy.
I currently have a Phaff and love it:) After reading the comments, I may look at the Janomes when mine tires out. Not too soon, though, I hope!
I am passing all the comments on to my son. Thank you all again! The good news is that I may have a new quilter in the family:)