Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   LQS likes/dislikes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lqs-likes-dislikes-t48712.html)

Butterflyblue 06-07-2010 01:46 PM

Things I like about my LQS:

1. Friendly, knowledgeable staff.

2. Kids' play area

What I wish they had more of: Modern looking prints, like Amy Butler. A lot of what they have isn't really my style, although I always find SOMETHING to take home, so maybe it's not as bad as I make it sound, there.

I also wish they offered "Mini classes" that only lasted an hour or two. I could fit those into my schedule a lot easier.

Minda 06-07-2010 01:53 PM

Children's play area? At least, a children's table and chairs with books and small toys

Coffee? No

Rude sales people? Not necessary

Smells? Not necessary

Kits? One of my local quilt shops lets me order kits in whatever fabric I want, and they call me when it's ready. If you do this, I would recommend getting a nonrefundable deposit before you cut the fabric.

Samples? Samples of what?? I've visited dozens of quilt shops in PA, but I don't remember ever being given free fabric (other than a free fat quarter with a purchase sometimes).

Music? Yes, but not too loud

Sewing area? A must for classes and demonstrations

thequilterslink 06-07-2010 02:11 PM

Friendly is #1, acknowledge that the customer is in the store. Also asking if they need help, some people love help, others hate it, so dont' hover. rewards program is a great idea, with you keeping the info at the store. I love saturday morning demo's on new products or patterns, rulers.
A big variety of fabrics, one of our stores is 90% thimbleberries, i like them, but not that much. Mini classes are fun, make and take, especially for small christmas gifts, knowledgeable teachers. One of our local stores sells her scraps in small bags, love them.

hobo2000 06-07-2010 02:12 PM

Samples as in purses with the patterns below or around it. Quilts, etc with the pattern it was made from and in the area of the fabric it was made with.

quiltsRfun 06-07-2010 02:22 PM

I try to visit quilt shops when I travel. I like to pick up a bundle of fat quarters or some other fabric that will remind me of the trip. On a recent trip I did a lot of research on shops in the area and ended up with a list of three or four. However, since I was the only quilter in the group I narrowed it down to one. When I walked into the shop I could hear a class taking place in the back room. The sales person showed no interest in helping me, possibly more interested in getting back to the class. I got the feeling I was intruding and left without buying anything. Mind you they had some pretty nice displays and beautiful fabric but I didn't feel welcome. On the other hand, I recently visited another small shop out of town. Not as much fabric, the displays weren't as impressive and quite a small inventory. However, although the sales person wasn't super friendly she was more than willing to answer questions and engage in conversation. I ended up buying several fat quarters and some yardage. So I would say a lot depends on your staff and how they treat customers.

a box of scrap fabric with kiddy scissors
I've seen this suggestion before but I have to wonder if it could end up causing problems. An unsupervised child might start snipping away at fabric on the bolts. I've been in retail and have seen what happens when parents get involved in their shopping and forget about the kids.

EdieClay 06-07-2010 02:23 PM

My favorite quilt shop is Little Blessings Quilt Shop in Crossville, TN. When you go into the shop, you are immediately welcomed by the owner and the women behind the counter. They asked if I am looking for something special or if they can help me. They offer suggestions if I ask. All the women who work in the shop are experienced quilters and seamstresses so are a big help. They offer many special classes, which are terrific. But my favorite thing about the shop is the Tuesday and Wednesday classes. I go every Tuesday to work on my current project. There are 6-10 other women there. We work on our projects with the owner moving around us helping when we need it. It is so much fun, we work, talk, laugh, and learn so much from each other.

Kathy N 06-07-2010 02:41 PM

Sunday classes would be nice. Have the shop closed but let students shop before & after class. I work and the limited LQS hours make it almost impossible to shop there.

Minda 06-07-2010 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Samples as in purses with the patterns below or around it. Quilts, etc with the pattern it was made from and in the area of the fabric it was made with.

Thanks for explaining. I must have been in a brain fog. :oops: :shock: :D

hobo2000 06-07-2010 03:25 PM

Happens to me all of the time...LOL

seamstome 06-07-2010 03:40 PM

Here's what I think. Knowledgable staff. Classes--all types, samples, bundles and kits sell fabric and notions. Website with lots of pics. Customer loyalty cards. Variety, good lighting, skip the smelly stuff too many allergies out there. Talk to your insurance agent before you put in a kids area with scissors.