Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   lunch bag batting? foam? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lunch-bag-batting-foam-t228049.html)

Lara122 08-15-2013 05:53 PM

lunch bag batting? foam?

hello fellow quilters and sewists!

I have an odd question . .

Someone (thank you!!) posted the tutorial for the teepee bag, and I used the guts out of her old one (dog chewed) and improvised this version. it was a very thin foam, almost like styrofoam. squeaky like that it that makes any sense!!

Looking to make another, and wondering what to put inside it! Does insul brite work for cold too? Or is that just heat? Regular batting would not be good with the condensation, right?

I'm not sure what to use. Googled some, but dial up makes it so hard! What is timtek? I'm seeing that in a lot of the links (waiting on one to load still!)

Hoping to have an idea, so I can get some materials to sew tomorrow. yay for sewing plans!
thanks so much!
Lara
*maybe the picture will work*

Pat625 08-15-2013 07:34 PM

I use insulbrite and a layer of PUL, so it can easily be wiped inside.

himnherr 08-16-2013 03:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just made my 1st lunch bag. I used a vinyl coated fabric for the lining and for insulation I used 1 layer insulbrite, and I also bought a window shade from the Dollar Tree and cut it up and used it! It helped make the sides firmer, but the combo of those 2 things makes that little lunch bag keep things cold! It does way better than any store bought bag I have. I'm going to do it again for sure.

Sorry, I don't know why the pictures are sideways- I uploaded them from a different source. :-(

sweetpea 08-16-2013 03:49 AM

How about useing a vinyl shower curtin for the liner, with batting?

Lara122 08-16-2013 05:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
oh a shower curtain is a great idea!! what exactly is pul? I know walmart sells clear plastic on a bolt.. seems pretty thick though . . I have come across bits of it in the remnant bin before . .

I'll try again for a picture!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]430562[/ATTACH]

Lara122 08-16-2013 05:26 AM

ok, it is not a good picture, but the zipper really is that lumpy. and upside down. that inner foam did NOT cooperate! ;0))

himnherr 08-16-2013 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by himnherr (Post 6236697)
I just made my 1st lunch bag. I used a vinyl coated fabric for the lining and for insulation I used 1 layer insulbrite, and I also bought a window shade from the Dollar Tree and cut it up and used it! It helped make the sides firmer, but the combo of those 2 things makes that little lunch bag keep things cold! It does way better than any store bought bag I have. I'm going to do it again for sure.

Sorry, I don't know why the pictures are sideways- I uploaded them from a different source. :-(

Window shade means those silver car window fold-up thingy's.

Lara122 08-16-2013 06:11 AM

OH my GOODNESS!! Good thing we aren't in the same room - the light bulb over my head would have blinded you!! =))

I love your pictures - sideways was no problem! That red-orange inside is gorgeous, and I love how you put the yellow binding on it like that! wow! ;0))

thanks so much for your help!
<inspired, and off to shop!>

mckwilter 08-16-2013 06:20 AM

PUL is the waterproof fabric that is used for making diaper covers. I purchased some at JoAnn's to use as the inside of a travel tote/make up bag. It is 100% washable and feels like fabric, unlike the vinyl covered fabrics and laminates. Check www.byannie.com and look at the Soft and Stable. I think it would work very well with a layer of insulbrite to give your bag shape and body. I used it in a purse and the sides didn't droop and collapse like they would have with just an interfacing.

LadyElisabeth 08-16-2013 09:44 AM

WOW, what fantastic ideas, car window shade, shower curtain, vinyl I knew and insulbrite. Should make them for my grand children.