Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machine applique question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-applique-question-t283719.html)

sarge1 11-12-2016 08:38 PM

machine applique question

1 Attachment(s)
When sewing down several small appliqué pieces using a machine, how do you avoid having to stop and start around each piece? Or, do you start and stop around each piece using a small backstitch? Other suggestions? Example of one block below. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Bree123 11-12-2016 08:51 PM

Fuse the pieces together as one unit that layer on top of each other. I just applique those pieces to each other (red flower buds to green bud leaves; white circle - light green flower - dark green flower). After that, you can fuse everything onto the background & just applique stitch around the outer edges (I'd use green so it blends with the leaves/stems, but contrasts with the flowers and hearts). You should be able to go completely around everything except the floating circles in one pass that way without breaking thread. You will, of course, need to stop & pivot a lot to get the right positioning for your stitches, and you'll want to shorten the stitch length as you get to the points of the leaves and inner/outer points of the hearts, but it's definitely doable with just breaking thread 5x if you've already created your units.

Tartan 11-12-2016 09:02 PM

Pretty block! It depends on what stitch you will be using. If satin stitching, I plan out which shape is under the next shape and stitch the background pieces first. Since the next color of satin stitching covers the start and finish of the thread under it, I don't have to worry about the thread tail until the last piece on top. Those I leave long, knot and bring to the back.
If I am using a buttonhole stitch, I knot and bring the threads to the back with each thread colour.
OR you can use one of the new invisible threads and use the same thread for a tiny zig zag and knot and bring the thread tails to the back.

Prism99 11-12-2016 10:27 PM

Is this turned edge applique? Aka invisible machine applique? If so, what I do is applique the small pieces onto a piece of paper first. When the flower (or whatever) is finished, I remove the paper and applique the entire piece to the background fabric. Harriet Hargrove explains this technique in her book on invisible machine applique.

Doggramma 11-13-2016 07:06 AM

I stop and start around each piece. I pull the threads to the back and tie them off. It takes longer but it looks nicer in the end.

sarge1 11-13-2016 07:16 AM

Thanks everyone; for further clarification, it is fused appliqué, and I thought I might use invisible thread with either a zigzag or blanket stitch. I have a knot function on my machine, which makes very tiny knots. However, since there are many tiny pieces (and thus many tiny knots), would that create lumps and bumps?

sewingitalltogether 11-13-2016 08:09 AM

I use the invisible thread with a very small zig zag stitch. It's small enough that I can use my regular 1/4" foot. I also use my knot stitch to secure the thread. No lumps or bumps. Catch the background with the thread on one side and with the next stitch catch your applique piece.

Tartan 11-13-2016 08:12 AM

Try a sample using your invisible thread using the knot function and bring a sample of you bringing the threads it the back and knot. Check which you like best and check to see which method makes a more secure knot. After stitching all those pieces, you don't want the thread to start unraveling.
P.S. After hand knotting on the back, I run the thread tails under the stitching in the back about an inch and then trim the thread end. It keeps the back neat and prevents any knots from unraveling.

carolynjo 11-13-2016 10:18 AM

I like Prism's suggestion. A woman in our guild years ago (with a quilt in the Smithsonian) did just that. What a beautiful finished product! Try it. It may take some getting used to, but the entire unit would be stronger because everything is joined together and no chance of pieces moving around.

ania755 11-18-2016 07:39 AM

Sarge1, your applique is looking great....I can only wish you plenty of luck on this one....you will have to sew very slowly...and decrease the stitches in the corners ( many, in this case )....
Please continue posting the progress on this project.....
Happy applique.....and don,t worry too much..it will look pretty once its done....