Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machine applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-applique-t158856.html)

nikki128 10-08-2011 01:14 AM

Hi everyone-

I am about to embark on my first machine applique project. I will be fusing leaves and pumpkins from the fall melody Accu Quilt die set. My question is does anyone have any tips for satin stitching around the edges? I have never done this before. Is it best to use a blanket stitch, a zig zag? do I need to stabilize it beyond the fusible I use? Thanks in advance for your help.

ckcowl 10-08-2011 01:29 AM

use a lightweight fusable- like steam a seam lite- or heat n bond light- the heavier ones are not made to be sewn- and will gum up your needle-
the fusable should be enough stablizer-
any stitch you like the look of can be used- some people just straight stitch just inside (i don't have too good of luck with that one) a blanket stitch is good- so is a small zig-zag-
some people who have decorative stitches on their machines use one of them...a satin stitch is a heavier stitch- will give definite (definition) to each piece- so make a little practice block- and try out different stitches around a circle- or some curved shape- and see what you like- they are all fine to use- and just a personal preference.

nikki128 10-08-2011 01:40 AM

thanks for the tips :)

piepatch 10-08-2011 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
use a lightweight fusable- like steam a seam lite- or heat n bond light- the heavier ones are not made to be sewn- and will gum up your needle-
the fusable should be enough stablizer-
any stitch you like the look of can be used- some people just straight stitch just inside (i don't have too good of luck with that one) a blanket stitch is good- so is a small zig-zag-
some people who have decorative stitches on their machines use one of them...a satin stitch is a heavier stitch- will give definite (definition) to each piece- so make a little practice block- and try out different stitches around a circle- or some curved shape- and see what you like- they are all fine to use- and just a personal preference.

Ditto to ckcowl. She covered it all well.

judylg 10-08-2011 03:05 AM

I have found with experience, the best way for me to applique is to fuse with steam a seam lite, after is fused on the piece, I fuse a peice of fusible tearable stabilizer to the back of the piece. It sure makes for a nice finished edge on the applique. Sometimes it is a little work to tear it off the back, but the stitching is so nice that the work is worth it, in my thoughts.

hobbykat1955 10-08-2011 03:27 AM

For the blanket stitch I don't use stablizer and it's fine. But any heavy stitches you must use it.

MoanaWahine 10-08-2011 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
For the blanket stitch I don't use stablizer and it's fine. But any heavy stitches you must use it.

I tend to agree with hobbykat1955. If you are going to use the satin stich, you need interfacing on the back. Otherwise the block with shrink and will not lay flat. I learned this the hard way :-(

quiltsillysandi 10-08-2011 04:40 AM

You will do fine.....I love machine applique....

I prefer Steam-A-Seam 2, but there are other products like Heat N Bond lite, or Wunder Under.....I found a new product called SoftFuse that I really love, but it's quite pricey...It leaves your applique soft, not stiff feeling...

I probably use the blanket stitch the most, but have used my decorative stitches to finish off the edges, depending on what look I am trying to achieve...You can also play with your thread weight and the different textures of thread, like metallics, but keep in mind, you will need specific needles to accomodate these threads.....

With the satin stitch, I find I need some kind of light weight stabilizer on the back side of the fabric before I stitch or I end up with puckers...You can use a tear-away or a water soluble stabilizer....

Enjoy the journey.....!

Sandi

mic-pa 10-08-2011 04:48 AM

I always use a stabilizer on the back. I also use various stitches on my applique..Am doing one right now that I am useing decorative stitches around the flowers and leaves, makes it more interesting. I also use a satin stich, but always make a trial run to see how close or wide I want the satin stitch to be. Have fun

sewmuchmore 10-08-2011 04:48 AM

Thank you all, for the infromation I have book marked so that when I start to applique I have this infromation :P :P I love this board :P