Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-applique-t159133.html)

suebee 10-09-2011 06:08 AM

Has anyone ever put a sheet of paper behind your fabric when machine appliqueing?? Ive seen a couple of tutorials using this method.

My question is (tutorial wasnt clear) would you HAVE to use stailizer then?

Im getting ready to do some appliqueing letters on a quilt and I dont want the letters to end up stiff (from fusible). Thoughts, ideas suggestions???

DawnMarie 10-09-2011 06:15 AM

I've done this before. It works okay, but it leaves quite the mess of needle-punched paper. It works as a stabilizer of sorts.
However, I would suggest using Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 as a fusible, and then stabilize it with some tear-away stabilizer. Lite SAS2 still allows some flexibility so your appliques don't end up 'stiff.'

alikat110 10-09-2011 06:16 AM

paper IS the stabilizer then

crafty pat 10-09-2011 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by DawnMarie
I've done this before. It works okay, but it leaves quite the mess of needle-punched paper. It works as a stabilizer of sorts.
However, I would suggest using Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 as a fusible, and then stabilize it with some tear-away stabilizer. Lite SAS2 still allows some flexibility so your appliques don't end up 'stiff.'

This is also what I do. I find paper to thick and messy. I have at one time pulled loose stitching trying to tare away paper.

mic-pa 10-09-2011 06:52 AM

I just purchased some Sulky Heat-Away which is a stabalizer you use then you hit it with a hot iron and it brushes off leaving no residue. I haven't tried it myself but my sister has and she loves it. THe heat from the iron disintegrates it.

clsurz 10-09-2011 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
I just purchased some Sulky Heat-Away which is a stabalizer you use then you hit it with a hot iron and it brushes off leaving no residue. I haven't tried it myself but my sister has and she loves it. THe heat from the iron disintegrates it.

Reminds me of Mission Impossible when once they listened to the tape it disintegrated it.

:D

littlehud 10-09-2011 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by clsurz

Originally Posted by mic-pa

Reminds me of Mission Impossible when once they listened to the tape it disintegrated it.

:D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So funny.

ploverwi2 10-09-2011 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by suebee
Has anyone ever put a sheet of paper behind your fabric when machine appliqueing?? Ive seen a couple of tutorials using this method.

Im getting ready to do some appliqueing letters on a quilt and I dont want the letters to end up stiff (from fusible). Thoughts, ideas suggestions???

paper towels work very well and are easy to remove.

suebee 10-09-2011 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by ploverwi2

Originally Posted by suebee

paper towels work very well and are easy to remove.

I think I will try this. :) Thanks

patchsamkim 10-09-2011 10:24 AM

I only use stabilizer when doing some solid stitch like satin stitch. If I am doing blanket stitch around applique, I do not use a stabilizer. The fusible itself acts as a stabilizer, so I feel no further stabilizer is necessary. Doing Satin stitch, for a stabilizer, you can use paper, something that can be torn away after the stitching is done.