Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Cabinet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-cabinet-t251080.html)

SingerSewer 07-31-2014 06:47 AM

Machine Cabinet

My machine is so heavy the cabinet is bowing. What reasonably priced cabinet with a lift would you recommend? Thank you.

calla 07-31-2014 08:00 AM

I don't have a lift but my sewing table is a unfinished door, mounted to the wall and a leg made. A plexiglass extender could be purchased. Calla

nlc14 07-31-2014 08:19 AM

Could you have someone screw on some plywood underneath to add some strength to it? I have seen my husband do that with some things and it works well, and it's easy and cheap to do. Just an idea.

ManiacQuilter2 07-31-2014 08:39 AM

Unless you have the funds to buy a new one, I would see if you could fix it with the suggestions that nic14 made. I am using my old Singer cabinet that my Dad bought for me in 1970. The fold down lift doesn't work with my Bernina but it sits nicely in the desk cabinet. Love those Koala cabinets but that takes a lot of Moola.

ann31039 07-31-2014 12:50 PM

I was given a Parsons table and Riccar sewing machine just for coming to get it. I love the table. 4 drawers and heavy as all get out. The Riccar has some issues (the needle hits the bobbin case). Haven't had time to really work on the machine, but I LOVE the cabinet. I've seen some on Craigslist and in some of the thrift stores for around 50 - 100. They are worth it

SingerSewer 08-01-2014 04:17 AM

Thank you for your ideas.

My current cabinet is not adaptable using the plywood because of the way it is built. It is the Sauder one from Walmart. It was perfect before I got the super heavy machine. Also I want to be able to have a flat sewing surface. Has anyone had experience with an Arrow cabinet? They are much more than I may be able to spend but one will accommodate the larger machines.

Again, thank you!

quiltstringz 08-01-2014 09:23 AM

My first question is do you really need a lift? That is going to be the really expensive part. If you can live without the lift I would look at the Sew Perfect Tables - more of an industrial look but also Industrial strength. I know that I wanted a table where my machine could go down to hide away but the reality is that I don't ever put it away -all I really needed was for it to set down for a flush sewing surface. I know that if I ever get another table it will be a Sew Perfect one.

mosquitosewgirl 08-03-2014 08:09 AM

My sewing table is an old mahogany executive desk that I picked up at a thrift store for $75.00. My husband cut a hole in it for my machine and to fit my acrylic extender, put a shelf below the hole so that my machine bed is flush with the desk top. The surface is 60"x39". And, while it doesn't have a lift, the fabric carrying cover that came with my machine works just great to protect it.

Havplenty 08-03-2014 08:35 AM

There are a couple of examples online on how to adapt a desk for cutout for a sewing machine. Also check your local Craigslist for people selling old sewing cabinets and sewing tables. I know on my CL they have been selling for $10-$50. There was even someone selling a Koala for around $250.00 on my local CL.

It is amazing what bargains you can pick up on CL.