Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine for Class (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-class-t208331.html)

Valerie Ann 12-13-2012 12:21 AM

Machine for Class

I own a Bernina QE440 and for Christmas want a more portable machine. Thought I wanted a Featherweight but have come to realize I like all of the modern conveniences that new machines offer. Any suggestions for a moderately priced machine? Thanks!

Knitette 12-13-2012 01:04 AM

I love my Janome TXL 607. It's only 1lb heavier than the Janome Jem that a lot of people will probably recommend and has a lot more bells and whistles. I even prefer it to my Pfaff for FMQ. I think it's paid for itself with the auto thread-cutter, lol.
(Just bought myself a Featherweight too - waiting on it arriving!)

DOTTYMO 12-13-2012 01:07 AM

I purchased a featherweight to take to class only goes forward and backwards and is solid.
Reason purchased. I took my bernina 440qe to class and did an emergency stop on the way( child on a bike and late for school came straight out a junction) when I got to class I found out my handle on one side had been pushed forward into top of machine. Luckily our groups PAT. Tester is across the road. He very carefully undid back and eased and wiggled it out. That made my decision to carry a strong machine to classes. Some of the smaller lighter machines arelastic and I am sure would not have stood up to that emergency.
Ps. The machine was in a carrying trolley made for a janome with wheels and plenty of fabric surrounding it.

AFQSinc 12-13-2012 04:21 AM

I am having this same dilema as well. I too have a 440QE and there is no way that I am taking it to a class or sew-in. I would like to have a fairly simple machine but there is one feature that I really, really want in my travel machine: needle down. I have found this feature so helpful. Also, I am a bit intimidated by the older machines as I'm not too handy and I know that my DH would never attempt to work on it as he would be too afraid of damaging something.

I did have a Brother for many years (it was my first machine that I owned) and it was a good machine. It was purchased at Costco and I pieced and did some freemotion on it. I would still have it today had it not met a really unfortunate end at the hands (paws?) of one of my dogs.

I wish there was a machine finder survey that you could plug in your desires and it would look at all machines and tell you which one might be a good fit. I've been watching these threads lately for ideas and suggestions. I'm going on my first quilting retreat in March so I'd like to find one before then.

HillCountryGal 12-13-2012 04:36 AM

I too wanted a lightweight machine to carry to classes. Ended up buying a Singer, paid about $100 for it. While it doesn't have 'needle down', it does a fine job of basic sewing.

Thought I wanted a featherweight... tried one with no success. The bobbin was very sensitive and would create a nest of jumbled thread constantly. Even had the sewing machine repair guy work on it... still had the same problem. **I know most people that own a featherwight love them. Guess I just happened to get a lemon. :rolleyes:

totosmom 12-13-2012 05:09 AM

I'm with you Valerie. My Bernina 630 is just too heavy (and delicate) to lug to class, so I went looking for a portable Bernie and ended up with a vintage 801 Sport. It's lightweight, has about a dozen fancy stitches and comes with a handle for portability. Of course, it also come with those beautiful Bernina stitches too.

Personally, I've given up a few bells and whistles for the durability of all metal construction and complete reliability of the older machines. Check 'em out. You might like them too.

Raggiemom 12-13-2012 05:22 AM

I have a Janome AQS which is great to take to classes although I really miss the thread cutter from the 6600. I'm sure Bernina must make lighter weight machines that would work but since I only have Janomes, all I can recommend are the Janome brands. I bought my mom a Jem and she loves how light and handy it is.

Bamagal 12-13-2012 06:25 AM

Babylock dealers in my area running a special for a $99 machine. That's what I Got for classes

echoemb 12-13-2012 06:54 AM

I have one of those $100 Singers and I really like it. Nothing fancy, but it sews forward and backward and has nice stitches. That's all I was looking for to take to a class.

QKO 12-13-2012 08:42 AM

Cindy bought a Viking hclass 100Q for taking classes, and she really likes it.

http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/media...ss100Q_en.html