Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine eats my fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-eats-my-fabric-t235585.html)

PaperPrincess 11-27-2013 05:25 AM

I have a Viking and there is a setting, I think it's called "straight stitch safety switch", that you set when you put on the straight stitch plate. I put a sticky note on the plastic bag I keep the plate in. Anyway, you choose this setting when you switch the plate and it beeps at you if you select a zigzag stitch. Just have to remember to set it

justflyingin 11-27-2013 06:03 AM

Use a leader. Bonnie Hunter has a whole book showing you how to make a whole quilt using these "scraps".

I tend to just use the same piece of fabric over and over til I throw it away.

AliKat 11-27-2013 06:18 AM

It's all been said:
Leaders and enders,
Good sharp needle,
Single hole throat plate and then somehow put a reminder on your machine if you feel you need it. I only change stitches when there isn't any material under the presser foot. The is one of my best practices.

Kitsie 11-27-2013 08:24 AM

I love my single hole (straight-stitch) plate and also use leaders and enders.

grammysharon 11-27-2013 09:53 AM

We all have small piece of fabric we throw away, perfect for "leaders and enders."

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer (Post 6426652)
Leaders and Enders. I always use one.

tlambing 11-27-2013 09:58 AM

My new Janome has quick change plates. It also has a sensor that won't allow the machine to stitch anything that isn't cohesive to the plate thats on it. Very cool.

Using a leader I think is the easiest way to eliminate the nesting and eating of fabric.

judylg 11-27-2013 05:25 PM

I have a pad of paper beside my machine to use when I piece half square triangles, if I did not use the paper underneath it would feed down into the machine. It rips off easily when I am done. If I am putting together two strips of fabric do not have a problem and no need for the paper.

SimpsonFrances 11-28-2013 04:21 AM

Sewed for years without a straight stitch plate....could not understand why anybody would want one....started quilting and was encouraged that it would help my piecing so I got one for a 30 year old machine. Love Love Love using it for piecing and yes leaders and enders will solve that problem in combination with a straight stitch plate.

dove 11-28-2013 05:07 AM

I had the same thing happen when I first purchased my pfaff and I bought a straight stitch needle plate which did help. Quiltingcandy is right that a leader fabric will help too - especially when you are sewing very small pieces.

quilterpurpledog 11-28-2013 05:23 AM

I have no problem remembering to change the stitch plate from the small hole to the other for decorative stitches because the quarter inch foot won't allow me to change the stitch width anyway or the needle will break. Having a sharp needle is essential. I have switched to titanium needles and really like them-they stay sharp a long time. I try to never stitch over a pin as that really ruins needles. I like the idea of using a piece of paper to start pieces that have sharp angles-see you learn something new on this board most every day!