Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Emb...Brother Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-emb-brother-machine-t7943.html)

ScubaK 06-08-2008 05:43 PM

Ok everyone...
I have a Brother PC-8500D....
I am so frustrated at it I could throw it out the window.
I tried to emb. a design today and the thread kept breaking...and it makes this annoying beep! beep!
I downloaded a design that would work for my large hoop but PED Basic has the hoop listed, but when I put the design on the card, the machine does another beep beep!!!
On the design I tried sewing out today, It was 100% cotton fabric, med wt. stabilizer and a 90/14 needle...
The thread broke when it was doing fill in stiches...I was using Brother 60wt bobbin thread and 40wt Sulky thread...
I am trying another project right now and it was going along well till I got to the fill in stiches...
Any advice? Is there a Machine Emb forum I could check out? Or do I get a new machine (HEHE!)
Kirsten

ScubaK 06-08-2008 05:48 PM

Just changed to a 75/11 needle...
Doing a design on a kitchen towel (for experimenting) with tear away med. and topped with light wash away...
After the first break, I changed the needle...seems to be going ok...
Now what about the hoop thingy??
Kirsten

Cordelia 06-08-2008 07:32 PM

Boy, I wish I had something encouraging to say. My mom has a Brother embroidery machine and the sulky thread does break on me when I'm using it. But, she always says it's the thread.

I don't have a lot of experience with embroidery machines and needles and so on.

In the good ole days, Brother had their own embroidery thread line and that thread never broke.

But, they don't make it anymore and the sulky thread does break.

azdesertrat 06-08-2008 07:38 PM

I had the same problem when doing an embroidery design and I happened to mention it when I stopped by the dealer where I bought my machine and one of the women suggested using a Metallic needle(for metallic threads) because it has a bigger eye and it is coated in the eye with teflon so the thread glides easier especially with dense designs and I haven't had a problem since.but if you continue to have problems contact a dealer and ask

ScubaK 06-08-2008 08:58 PM

Thanks everyone...
I had to walk away for a bit...from that machine...
Like I said...I have a large hoop...6"x 12"?
thought i could get a long border to go into it...no dice...
as far as the needle, well it worked on this light project...I think I will try one tomorrow that is comparable to density I tried today
Thanks to everyone
Kirsten

grandma24 06-09-2008 07:27 AM

Try cleaning your bobbon and under carage area, also try a net on your spool, or use a seperate stand to give your thread space to lossen up. A great wewb site is www. ArtisticThreadWorks.com. Larry has a great q&a space I had the same problem and it was just a wisp of lint in the bobbon area, good luck. Quiltnurse

ButtercreamCakeArtist 06-09-2008 09:56 AM

Make sure to use the same exact thread on the top AND in the bobbin. I bought extra bobbins on eBay pretty reasonable. I change it each time I change the top.
Do a search with my name (ButtercreamCakeArtist) and "brother"....I've had trouble.

Butterflyspain 06-09-2008 10:48 AM

Hi there I hve a Brother Innovis 1200 and its a new machine. Had probs as well with breaking the thread. Try decreasing the tension. Also the suggestion about using a needle for metallic thread is good. I did that when a friend told me to change the needle and have not had a problem since.

As far as the hoop is concerned. Have you got it with the batting and backing fabric. Now if you have, I find that is a problem. Think I am going to just do the embroidery before I put the backing and batting in. I canīt get any of the quilting designs to work in the hoop. A friend of mine has a Janome and she can embroider with the whole lot no problem.

Good luck Elle

sewnsewer2 06-09-2008 04:15 PM

I have been embroidering for just over a year now and have only broken 2 needles.

Try putting your thread on the horozonal spindal with the thread coming towards you. I have had great success that way.

Also, make sure you hoop taughtly. If your hoops have adhesive spray on them, that can cause you to not get a good hooping, it will slip on you.

ScubaK 06-09-2008 05:21 PM

Great replies everyone...
Thanks.
K