Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machine embroidering quilt motifs question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-embroidering-quilt-motifs-question-t59833.html)

quilter53 08-17-2010 07:51 AM

What kind of stabilizer do you use when emb. motifs. I am doing it thru all 3 layers that is, after the top, batting and backing are together. What do you find is easiest to remove after it's finished. I usually do my emb., on other things, unhooped with sticky stabilizer. Hooping is so hard but if that is best that is what I will do. I practiced with a sample and I used the fix before and it held all 3 layers together fiine. It's just so hard to peel off the back. Do you wash it after the quilt is finished. Sorry so many questions just trying to find the best way.
thanks

Up North 08-17-2010 08:04 AM

When I quilt on a quilt front, batting and back I do not use stabilizer.

Lynnejean 08-17-2010 08:10 AM

You don't have to use stablizer but if you feel you want to I would use clear washout kind.

Candace 08-17-2010 08:10 AM

No stabilizer if done on the sandwich. The batting acts as a stabilizer.

quilter53 08-17-2010 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
When I quilt on a quilt front, batting and back I do not use stabilizer.

Wow! Thanks Donna. That sounds simple enough. Do you use the fix to hold the top layer or will it hold. I guess you put it in the hoop. :lol: Silly question.

grann of 6 08-17-2010 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by quilter53
What kind of stabilizer do you use when emb. motifs. I am doing it thru all 3 layers that is, after the top, batting and backing are together. What do you find is easiest to remove after it's finished. I usually do my emb., on other things, unhooped with sticky stabilizer. Hooping is so hard but if that is best that is what I will do. I practiced with a sample and I used the fix before and it held all 3 layers together fiine. It's just so hard to peel off the back. Do you wash it after the quilt is finished. Sorry so many questions just trying to find the best way.
thanks

So here's what I do; since this is my favorite method of quilting. I put sticky back stabilizer in my hoop, preferably an inch or two larger than the design I'm stitching. Then I cut out the middle where the stitching will be, remove the paper backing, exposing the sticky stuff. I set my machine so it is at the center point of the design and lay the quilt down so the center point is where I want it to be. Then I pin the quilt through the sticky stuff on the four sides to make sure it doesn't shift. Then I stitch away, staying at the machine so I can keep an eye on it in case it does try to shift. If you want, I can try a tutorial to show you. Or at least post some pictures of how I do it.

leaha 08-17-2010 08:17 AM

I do not use any thing but the top, batt, and back works great on my Pfaff in the hoop.

Up North 08-17-2010 08:24 AM

I just hoop it and sew, Have not had any issues.

amma 08-17-2010 08:24 AM

I hooped the heavy cut away stabilizer, cut out the center where the emb motif will be.
After basting the quilt, I safety pin the quilt to the cut away to hold it in place.
Nothing sticky to have to wash off, the stabilizer can be reused, and I don't have any problems with shifting either as long as I pin well.
Also make sure that the quilt is not caught up on anything as the arm moves around on the machine :D:D:D I like to set my machine on the floor or a very large table when I do this.

quilter53 08-17-2010 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6

Originally Posted by quilter53
thanks

So here's what I do; since this is my favorite method of quilting. I put sticky back stabilizer in my hoop, preferably an inch or two larger than the design I'm stitching. Then I cut out the middle where the stitching will be, remove the paper backing, exposing the sticky stuff. I set my machine so it is at the center point of the design and lay the quilt down so the center point is where I want it to be. Then I pin the quilt through the sticky stuff on the four sides to make sure it doesn't shift. Then I stitch away, staying at the machine so I can keep an eye on it in case it does try to shift. If you want, I can try a tutorial to show you. Or at least post some pictures of how I do it.

I can see what you are saying. I have a fix on my D1. I wonder if I do that instead of pinning would it work.