Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Embroidery People...TOWELS AND WASHCLOTHS...have you... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-embroidery-people-towels-washcloths-have-you-t1410.html)

ButtercreamCakeArtist 07-11-2007 09:46 AM

ever machine embroidered on towels and/or washcloths? I got some to practice with bc I haven't tried it, yet. Just wondering if you have any pointers. I figure I will double up on the stabilizer or use the stiffer kind. (or more stiff, my English is bad today).

And T-Shirts....I tried that for the first time. I don't know if I didn't have the fabric pulled tight enough or if the stabilizer was just too thin or what, but it was a mess. I ended up getting a hole in the shirt. Seems like the thread tension needed to be way, way, WAY loosened for the top! Any help on that one?

I really don't get to mess with my machine much. The kids have been keeping me so busy. .........
any help is greatly appreciated.

vicki reno 07-11-2007 09:58 AM

A friend of mine did towels on her Bernina and she used a water soluble stabilizer on the top. Just stitched right through the whole thing. I've neve tried it, cause I don't have an embroider machine,just want one. But the towel looked real good.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 07-11-2007 10:00 AM

Thanks, Vicki.
I've actually never used the water sol. kind. I have used the iron on kind that stays for good and the tear away kind you tear off after you finish...both I have put on the back.

vicki reno 07-11-2007 10:10 AM

Well, I am no expert, but that was what she used, so maybe that will help you.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 07-11-2007 10:19 AM

I will have to try some of that soon. :lol:

ceannastahr 07-11-2007 02:13 PM

I use a good water sol stablizer on top and bottom of the towels this stops the treads from sinking into to the terrycloth

When I do t shirts I put tearaway on bottom lay on the shirt then water sol stabliver on top This way you can tighten your stablizers whithout pulling and streaching the t shirt to much

Hint: when you finish cut away any extra water sol stablizer you can. You can use the small piece for extra support in small areas for emb or place in a small spray bottle with some water Now you have a real good spray starch.

SandyGail 07-12-2007 06:03 PM

I have a Brother ULT & a Pfaff machine. I use a medium tear away on the bottom and a water soluable on the top for towels. If they are too thick for my hoop, I hoop the stablilizer and us a spray adhesive to hold the towel. For tee shirts or knits, I usually use a "ball point" needle - Organ size 11. Try not to stretch the tee shirt. Also there are several iron on stablizers for the back that keeps the shirt from moving. However, a design that is not too dense works best.
Good luck!
SandyGail

mic-pa 07-13-2007 04:22 AM

Hi, I have embroidered on many t-shirts and towel with out difficulty. Make sure you have a new needle in the machine. I use an iron on stabilizer on the back ( which incedently peels off afterwards) and a water soluble stabilizer on top. Never had a problem. I also use the embroidery thread recommended by my dealer which is a Janome. Never had to touch the tension on the machine. Marge

ButtercreamCakeArtist 07-14-2007 10:01 AM

Hey, All! Thanks for the advice. Looks like I need to get some water sol. stabilizer! :lol: