Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine. Maintenance (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-maintenance-t272633.html)

Tartan 11-24-2015 10:51 AM

Machine. Maintenance

I gave my main machine a good clean and oiled the bobbin hook for Christmas sewing. While I was at it, a thought occurred to me.....when was the last time I used my other machines. It's been a while so I cleaned and oiled them all and sat and sewed for 1/2 an hour on them all. I want my backup machines in good working order in case my main machine has to go for a check up. When was the last time you used your backups?

Manalto 11-24-2015 10:54 AM

My default machine is a Singer 401 (1958) but I wander regularly among my machines, all of them vintage. And then there are the new acquisitions, which have to prove themselves before they're admitted to the herd.

cashs_mom 11-24-2015 10:58 AM

My backup is my mother's Singer 301A. I sewed on it last summer when my main machine was in the shop and again last month to try out my new walking foot I got for it. I do need to use it more often to keep it in tip top shape.

ManiacQuilter2 11-24-2015 11:06 AM

I haven't Tartan. I did just have it go in for service around August but have not had a chance to test it out.

PaperPrincess 11-24-2015 11:27 AM

Excellent reminder. You would hate for your main machine to need service only to find your b/u is also sick. I'm lucky. One at home and one at the cottage. Use them both frequently, but not simultaneously!

Onebyone 11-24-2015 11:47 AM

I have four machines set up in my sewing room and three portables in cases. I rotate the portables when going to sew days and I sew on each of the machines in my sewing room. I have one set for paperpiecing, one for decorative stitching, one for fmq and machine quilting, and one for piecing blocks. I clean and oil each one myself.

GingerK 11-24-2015 03:19 PM

I took my small portable to a class a week ago. A few days before, I cleaned and checked it--and realized that it had been sitting since April!! I will try to be much more diligent with giving it a regular workout.

Cari-in-Oly 11-24-2015 04:53 PM

With over 50 machines I have back ups for my back ups. I switch machines when the mood strikes me and do a clean/oil when setting a machine up to use. Since I service my own machines I have no need to take them in. Every new(to me) machine gets a thorough going over before I use it.

Cari

ragamuffin 11-24-2015 05:15 PM

My niece just died and left a Wheeler & Wilson treadle machine from the 1890's I think. I will have to bring it in, clean and see if it runs, and then sell it. I hate to sell it but the electric bill left is $950. I have no choice.

Stitchnripper 11-24-2015 06:13 PM

Since I started accumulating vintage machines and realized how easy it is to service them I do it pretty regularly. But the last 6 months most of them are in my son's basement (which is dry) waiting for us to move. We are very close and I will finally have my own sewing room and a basement with a workbench already there so I'm really going to be able to keep up with it. Can't decide which ones will live in sewing room. I only have two in cabinets. A treadle and a 66. I have gotten to enjoy the smell of a freshly oiled machine. Crazy right??