Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A machine needle question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-needle-question-t144220.html)

seweasy 08-10-2011 05:12 PM

Anyone with a Viking machine, have you had trouble using the Schmetz needles? I have a Viking Emerald 183, and tried using a Schmetz needle and couldn't get the needle to go up into the needle shaft. Switched to a Organ needle and had no problems getting the needle into the shaft and the screw tightened as it should be.
Have used Schmetz on my other machines without ever having a problem, I love their Jeans needle. Apparently the Viking machines doesn't like them. Has anyone come across this situation? Chris

patski 08-10-2011 05:58 PM

I have a Viking and only use Schmetz

JanetM 08-10-2011 06:04 PM

I have the Designer SE, and before that the #1+. I've always used Schmetz. Funny thing...some years ago I received a free pack of Organ needles from a LQS. Each of them broke quickly. Must have been a defective pack.

sewingladydi 08-10-2011 06:17 PM

I have a 15 year old viking and that's the only brand of needle I've ever used

seweasy 08-10-2011 06:25 PM

I don't know what the problem was with the Emerald but I tried for several minutes to get the needle into position. When I put the Organ needle into position, it went straight in. Have been using Organ needles almost ten yrs; when I purchased my Brother emb machine, Organ was the included needles. Have used Schmetz in the emb. machine with the same success as the Organ, have stuck with the Organ needles because I can order them in bulk and get them at a good price. Chris

feffertim 08-10-2011 09:19 PM

I have not had a problem with my Viking either.

coloradosky 08-10-2011 11:15 PM

That is the only brand I ever use and never had a problem with my Viking. The dealer recommended Schmetz. Did you check the end that inserts into the machine to see if it might have been damaged?

ckcowl 08-11-2011 01:23 AM

i've had my viking for 7 years---it came with schmetz needles---it's the only ones i've ever used- prehaps you were inserting it incorrectly.

NJ Quilter 08-11-2011 03:44 AM

I have a Viking Platinum and use nothing but Schmetz with no problems at all. When I bought my machine the dealer was giving month coupons for about 6-8 months duration for all kinds of notions so I managed to stock up on needles. A great deal for me.

rekrug 08-11-2011 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by seweasy
Anyone with a Viking machine, have you had trouble using the Schmetz needles? I have a Viking Emerald 183, and tried using a Schmetz needle and couldn't get the needle to go up into the needle shaft. Switched to a Organ needle and had no problems getting the needle into the shaft and the screw tightened as it should be.
Have used Schmetz on my other machines without ever having a problem, I love their Jeans needle. Apparently the Viking machines doesn't like them. Has anyone come across this situation? Chris

When I first got my Viking, I thought I was unscrewing far to far to get the needle in (in fact, I crawled around a couple of times after dropping it!) I use Schmetz, but it took some time to get used to loosening the screw that far.