Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine pieced quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-pieced-quilt-top-t125272.html)

Pumpkins 05-23-2011 06:17 PM

Do any of you ladies (and men, if there are any here) have any suggestions as to what to charge for making a queen sized quilt top? Pattern is Tonga Rhapsody (A 12 month BOM) by A Wing and a Prayer that you can view on their website.

Being rather new to quilting, I've been asked to make this quilt for a work associate. She is paying all expenses including class fees and a fee to me for cutting and piecing the quilt top. I will then take it to someone to be quilted which fee she will pay also.

I really need some serious help here....

Pumpkin

hopetoquilt 05-23-2011 06:24 PM

Here is the link to the quilt:

http://www.wingandaprayerdesign.com/TR-BOM2011.htm

not sure what I would charge. I would keep the charge low b/c she is a work associate, you aren't quilting it and she is paying for the class fees. Also, can you keep the l/o fabric?

Pumpkins 05-23-2011 06:40 PM

How low? There's zig-zag "sashing" between some of the blocks with small squares, plus there's many pieces to the borders including more small squares. Check out the "large" size photo and you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm told that I will spend a lot of time piecing this quilt together and matching all the seams.....

candlequilter 05-23-2011 06:48 PM

Wow, that is quite a pattern to do! I guess I would be asking myself how much am I getting out of the class that she is paying for plus will I use the pattern again for myself. Another words I would have to discount the price by all the benefits I would get from doing the quilt for her. It almost seems like this will be a win-win for both of you if you come up with an agreeable price.

Thanks and good luck,
Sherryl
Candlequilter

Kitsapquilter 05-23-2011 10:06 PM

It is hard to say without seeing the pattern but I am guessing alot of this is strip piecing so maybe it might not be as hard as it looks. Definitely looks like there is some paper-piecing involved in some of the blocks too.
I agree with Candlequilter...looks like a win-win situation if you agree upon a price. Mostly you just need to charge an agreed upon amount for your time since she is providing the class fee, cost of fabric and paying to have it quilted! Wish someone would offer me a deal like that!!!

blugirlami21 05-23-2011 10:22 PM

She's very generous to pay for all that, let me day that first! Figure out how much the classes are, the fabric, the pattern, for the size of the quilt figure out how much your time is worth. If you were going to hire yourself as a quilter how much would you pay yourself an hour? Make sure you factor in your experience or lack of experience, how fast you are, how long it will take you to finish,etc. Then add it up. My quilter charges me the length times the width times .020 plus binding. So try to factor that in as well. Hope that helps.

One more thing, does she expect you to make a back as well, make sure you factor in the cost for that as well.

dunster 05-23-2011 11:07 PM

That is such a lovely quilt! If It were me, and I wanted to take the classes (which I would if the teacher is good) I think I would ask her to buy the fabrics for two quilts, and I would make one of them for me and the other for her. Somehow it doesn't seem as much work when you're making two at once, and you get to keep one.

quilt-fanatic 05-24-2011 01:46 AM

Oooh. Looks like lots of piecing. I wouldn't do it for less than $200. and maybe $250. My time is worth something.

Pumpkins 05-24-2011 09:01 AM

It is a monthly BOM class with a very good teacher so I am getting a lot out of the class. I wasn't going to do this
BOM, but the blocks were intriguing and I had never worked with batiks. So, I took the class and we're 5 months into it.

Only one block has a little simple paper piecing and it was the first block done.

When she saw my two American Beauty quilts a few weeks ago, she decided to ask me to consider making her a quilt at her expense. I thought about it and gathered a few magazines, etc. and the BOM with the blocks that I had completed and showed her. She feel in love with it, a lot more that I'm in love it... and wants it. Which is fine with me....

I've given her the class charges, quilting estimate ranges from two quilters, and estimate on supplies. All I need to decide on is my charge for making the top, and then of course, sewing the binding on and hand stitching it down when the quilter is finished. Because she is paying my class fee, yes, I don't feel like I need to charge what someone would charge for just making the top, but I do need to charge something.

I'm leaning towards $200-$250ish area. How do all of you feel about that???

I've been told by "teacher" that this quilt would sell, already made, for no less than $1,000.00....

flowerjoy 05-24-2011 09:20 AM

I wouldn't charge anything. She is paying for your class and you are getting the experience. Maybe you could also keep any scraps for a future scrappy quilt.