Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine question... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-question-t293110.html)

Ripped on Scotch 12-06-2017 07:56 AM

Machine question...

How often do you get a new machine? There isn't really anything wrong with my machine but I think I may want to upgrade it. I want something with more options I think. any recommendations?

zozee 12-06-2017 08:11 AM

What options do you want? What are your must-haves, and what’s your price range? The answers to these questions are where we can start with recommendations. What machine do you have now and do you like how it handles? .

Macybaby 12-06-2017 08:11 AM

I got my first machine in 1979, then updated it in 1980 with the first electronic version (was Viking's top of the line machine at the time). then I did not upgrade my machine for over 30 years.

just bought a Babylock Destiny, and hope I'll not feel the urge to upgrade for another 30 years.

When I bought the Viking in 1980, I paid $1,000 at a time I was making $1.90 an hour. based on where minimum wage is now, I think I've paid relatively less for the Babylock.

Ripped on Scotch 12-06-2017 08:29 AM

right now I have a computerized Kenmore...I know it is made by Janome but I've had it for about 10+ years now. I used the babylock Katherine last year at MSQC and was thinking I really liked it.

bearisgray 12-06-2017 08:35 AM

Based on the type of sewing I do - and my lack of the decorative gene - and lack of incentive/desire/funds to buy a $10,000-$20,000 machine, I probably am okay with the machines that I have.

I think there is a big difference between need and want. If one wants a new machine, and funding is not an issue, go for it.

I did acquire some "upgrades" to what I have recently - A Pfaff 1475 CD and a Bernina 930 Record - but those are basically middle- aged machines.

SusieQOH 12-06-2017 08:52 AM

I have a Bernina that I love but I recently bought a Juki TL2010Q because I want to FMQ and the throat on my Bernina wasn't wide enough. The Juki is straight stitch only- perfect for FMQ, and my Bernina does everything else.
I also have vintage Singers that are fun to stitch on, especially my Featherweight. I just love that one for piecing.
So for me, I have every machine I want.

It's a very personal decision. You have to figure out what you want/need that you don't have and go from there. There are a lot of threads about machines on this board.
Prices are all over the place.

selm 12-06-2017 09:36 AM

If you do upgrade don't get rid of your old machine too soon. Like you, I didn't have to upgrade and I hesitated getting a new machine because of costs. After I was able to use a new Babylock at a weekend sew along with Eleanor Burns I fell in love with the machine but again hesitated. About six months later I was able to get the same machine from the dealer that had run the sew along and was able to get a lower price than offered that weekend. I had to setup a payment plan and able to pay it off in a reasonable time.
I love the pivot stop on the needle feature and the automatic thread cutter especially. But I do have some features I still like about my older machine better(I actually like the decorative stitches better) and glad I still have it.

Tartan 12-06-2017 10:36 AM

I have 2 Berninas with about 10 years between them. I think they will do me until I can't sew any more.

cashs_mom 12-06-2017 11:27 AM

I have a 20+ year old Bernina as my "new" machine. It has all the fancy stitches I need plus the bells and whistles I want (without the ones I don't want). And 3 vintage machines. One of which I inherited. The other two my husband bought me as gifts so I guess I don't buy a new machine often. :D

dunster 12-06-2017 02:36 PM

I got my Bernina 440 about 10 years ago, and I hope it lasts the rest of my life. I do have a longarm, otherwise I would probably be lusting after a sewing machine with a bigger throat. In fact if I ever downsize my home, I would probably sell the longarm and maybe get a sit-down longarm. I do have a couple of backup sewing machines, as well as a few vintage machines, but the 440 has all the bells and whistles I want. I just wish I hadn't purchased the embroidery module for it, because I never use it.