Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machine and quilt frustration (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilt-frustration-t131712.html)

DMotyl 06-19-2011 03:24 PM

I made a quilt top using Dr. Suess fabrics. I used the pattern "Out of the Box" from the summer issue of "easy quilts" from Fons & Porter. It went together quite well. Then I decided to embroider a label for this 1st birthday present. My machine died as I was working on it....after 2 days of working on this and trying to get this working I made a mess of it. I then hauled out my old Kenmore machine and started quilting the "sandwich" together. I tried to do FMQ which did not go too well. :( I also did SID which went ok, but the backing did pucker :x Finally my Kenmore fouled up looping on the bottom. This gift is to be given when we go to to FL on Wed. The quilting needs to be finished and the binding must be put on it as well...

Just sounding off....

eastermarie 06-19-2011 03:28 PM

Is there any way to salvage it?

Dina 06-19-2011 04:00 PM

Donna, I'd suggest you step back from the quilt for an hour or two. I suspect you are too hard on yourself, as I have noticed that most quilters are. It doesn't have to be perfect. After your break, just finish it the best that you can and then be done with it. Borrow a machine if you can. Maybe that would help?

leatheflea 06-19-2011 05:01 PM

The Quilters Gremlin! I had that little booger in my sewing room before. He's a nasty sneaky mischievous little demon that's very good at what he does. Usually when I realize he's there, I leave for a the day and sometimes two. He gets bored and moves on. I'm sorry if he jumped from my house to yours. The best thing I found to get him to leave is chocolate. They hate chocolate in large amounts. Good luck with your quilt.

craftybear 06-19-2011 05:15 PM

take your time, I hope you get it done in time

emmy 06-19-2011 05:25 PM

I'm so sorry about your project. I do what Dina suggested, otherwise it seems to compound. As the Kenmore is working, try a new needle, a new bobbin and practice on a sample. Maybe just do some straight line quilting and then the binding. Good luck.

Painiacs 06-19-2011 09:13 PM

Love to see finished quilt! Bought pattern haven't done it yet!

glowworm 06-20-2011 02:46 AM

If it is not done in time, couldn't you mail it??? That would take the immediate pressure off and you can start enjoying the process.

DMotyl 06-20-2011 05:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I did take the evening off and went to bed. I woke up and could not go back to sleep soooo at 3 AM I began again and realized that my DH had actually fixed my new machine so that I can sew on it...(haven't tried embroidery yet...) At any rate 12 hrs later, I actually finished it. I love the quilt top, but don't like the backing or the quilting job. Of course this was a learning experience. Do not plan to make your label as part of the backing b/c the quilting may ruin its look. Also, be sure to measure twice then cut (I think I've heard that before....) If I had made my squares, that I added in the backing so it would be big enough, LARGER, then I would not have had to add the red on the sides. Oh well, hopefully the year old will build tents, go on picnics, and to the beach with this quilt. It should not be considered heirloom quality. :-P I have posted the pictures though I am not sure you can see the mistakes that well, but I guess that's good! :-D

front of a Dr. Suess Quilt: I tried some FMQ inside the frames on the prints
[ATTACH=CONFIG]214621[/ATTACH]

back of the quilt (FMQ mixed with curvy lines and SITD did not blend well
[ATTACH=CONFIG]214622[/ATTACH]

QuiltnLady1 06-20-2011 05:24 PM

Can't see the mistakes -- it looks quite cute.