Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Quilting a "Thinking Outside the Block"???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-%22thinking-outside-block%22-t118288.html)

QuiltnCowgirl 04-23-2011 01:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Please help me figure this out & decide what to do.

Assignment: Machine Quilt a Thinking Outside the Block wallhanging. (40" x 40")
Equipment: Singer 403.
Operator skill: SITD & straight stitching, maybe a wide curve here & there.

What would you do? How would you quilt this wallhanging?

SueDor 04-23-2011 01:27 PM

I would have to think about that!

QuiltnCowgirl 04-23-2011 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by SueDor
I would have to think about that!

Please do! Feel free to mull it over. Heavens knows I have been all week & I've got nothing!

janRN 04-23-2011 01:39 PM

C,mon!! I'm waiting for you!! I'm still staring at mine, too, and laugh every time you post. Are we both hopeless?? LOL.
I think I came up with a solution for mine though--I'm going to make a drape out of it for my patio door. I get too much sunlight reflected off the white vinyl deck back into the breakfast area. I got some room darkening fabric for the backing. So!! I don't have to quilt mine--just SID to hold the backing on.
Please keep me posted on what you do--I want to make another one. Good luck!

Maia B 04-23-2011 01:42 PM

No answers, but I love your colors. What an excellent top! Good luck! I still suck at FMQ, so I'm (mostly) in the ditch with you.

QuiltnCowgirl 04-23-2011 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
C,mon!! I'm waiting for you!! I'm still staring at mine, too, and laugh every time you post. Are we both hopeless?? LOL.
I think I came up with a solution for mine though--I'm going to make a drape out of it for my patio door. I get too much sunlight reflected off the white vinyl deck back into the breakfast area. I got some room darkening fabric for the backing. So!! I don't have to quilt mine--just SID to hold the backing on.
Please keep me posted on what you do--I want to make another one. Good luck!

No fair! LOL And here I thought you were brainstorming too so we could share ideas. If I knew you I would have to say, "chicken"! :D :D

PaperPrincess 04-23-2011 01:49 PM

How about circles? Get out all your plates & round platters & draw circles. You can do a large circle with a walking foot. Another alternative would be diagonal lines in both directions. just 'hit' the corners of all the nested blocks.

klgreene 04-23-2011 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl

I did one last fall. I just SITD, but I made my strips smaller. They are about 1" wide. I like the way it turned out. I'm a SITD'er and straight stitcher too. If you want you add some contrast with straight stitch you could do a large zigzag (not the machine stitch) but starting at one corner of the strip, stitch at an angle. Do that one every other strip. Or continue that with turning it into x's, which look like diamonds. But only on the every other strip. Then you could leave the other strips alone, or do something else in those strips. Does that make any sense. It is so much easier to just draw it than describe it.

klgreene 04-23-2011 01:54 PM

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl

I did one last fall. I just SITD, but I made my strips smaller. They are about 1" wide. I like the way it turned out. I'm a SITD'er and straight stitcher too. If you want you add some contrast with straight stitch you could do a large zigzag (not the machine stitch) but starting at one corner of the strip, stitch at an angle. Do that one every other strip. Or continue that with turning it into x's, which look like diamonds. But only on the every other strip. Then you could leave the other strips alone, or do something else in those strips. Does that make any sense. It is so much easier to just draw it than describe it.

LindaM 04-23-2011 01:55 PM

I'd use my decorative stitches, follow the seam lines - maybe every other seam.