Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine quilting advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-advice-t293809.html)

RJLinkletter 01-04-2018 10:09 AM

Machine quilting advice

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, so I have been a member/reader for a while and have been a hand quilter and embroiderer for about 18 months. I finally took the plunge and got a machine at Christmas. I have pieced together my first thing by machine - a simple table runner(really for practice) but would like some advice on how I should try quilting it for the first time by machine. I have an open toe walking foot.

I know what I would do by hand but I want something more simplistic (and probably achievable) for my first piece of machine quilting.

Tartan 01-04-2018 12:07 PM

Pretty runner top! You can stitch in the ditch the sashing to start. After that you can stitch around the pinwheels in the ditch.

RJLinkletter 01-04-2018 12:26 PM

Thanks. I'm not entirely happy with one of the end panels as the points don't line up but not bad for my first ever time on a sewing machine! I like the idea of stitching in the ditch round the pinwheels as well as the more obvious sashing

bjchad 01-04-2018 01:42 PM

As well as stitching the ditch around the pinwheels, you could echo around them once or twice.

RJLinkletter 01-04-2018 10:49 PM

Thanks for the idea. I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow once I have figured out stitch length etc!

quilterpurpledog 01-05-2018 03:34 AM

I recommend that your first machine quilting project be simple and engage the feed dogs for best control. A walking foot experience is a great start. Stitching in the ditch with the walking foot is a great way to start. And, in order to show off your new skills I think the idea of echoing once or twice around the design is great. Your table runner will be quite attractive. When I was learning to FMQ I liked to use stencils for my designs. Then, I could concentrate on my stitching rather than creating a design as I was trying to learn to control my stitching. I really enjoy the quilting process and do most of mine on my DSM. I am learning to long arm at the local store which has a rental unit. Enjoy the journey.

SusieQOH 01-05-2018 05:21 AM

For being rather new at this you're really good! I like your tablerunner a lot. I don't have much advice though b/c I'm fairly new at machine quilting. I have always done it by hand. I find practicing is helping me a lot.

Two things that have really helped me are Machingers gloves and a slick surface. Makes a world of difference. You may not need them for a tablerunner though but in the future if you do larger things.

carolynjo 01-06-2018 07:42 AM

While STID is usually good advice, I literally hate doing it. I can't stay in the channel to quilt. I like more freedom to do my thing, since I obviously don't machine quilt vary well.

Onebyone 01-06-2018 07:59 AM

Crosshatch quilting is a good start. Mark lines about 2 inches apart. Then if you want more quilting, stitch between the lines.