Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine quilting- do you attach binding to back or front first? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-do-you-attach-binding-back-front-first-t219561.html)

selm 04-20-2013 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by TexasSunshine (Post 6014143)
I do all my binding by machine. I sew to the back first, then turn and sew on the front. I cut a 2 1/2 inch binding, press in half, then sew on. My hands can't do a lot of hand sewing any more. My bindings turn out pretty good (I am satisfied). It is not perfect but neither any I. Try some samples on scrap fabric with batting. Good luck.

I do this too. I use a decorative stitch to sew on the front as I think it looks nicer than a straight stitch.

selm 04-20-2013 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 6014725)
Same as Irishrose. Since I've started cutting my binding 2 5/8" instead of 2 1/2" my binding
came out perfect. No missing spots at the back. Give this a try.

What type of batting are you using with the 2 5/8"?

noveltyjunkie 04-20-2013 02:11 PM

Last binding I did, I was so pleased with how even I got the back on the machine, I wished I had started with the front. Now I realise that I might be far too hasty trying that on the basis of one experience.

EasyPeezy 04-20-2013 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by selm (Post 6015219)

Warm & Natural.

watson's mom 04-20-2013 06:22 PM

I stitch to the front and fold over to the back and hand stitch in place. I had carpal tunnel in both hands but had it fixed one at a time. I have never been sorry only wish I had gone sooner. Not a bad operation and recovery time was very short.

gale 04-20-2013 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by selm (Post 6015219)

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy (Post 6015463)
Warm & Natural.

That sounds wide for W&N. What seam allowance do you use?

quilttiger 04-21-2013 03:22 AM

There is a method...believe it is called accent binding (sorry, I am in the family room and the information I have is downstairs and I have a cat all snuggled up in my lap. Otherwise, I would look for the information to pass on to you, smile). It is all done by machine. I just Googled "accent binding technique for quilts" and a few websites popped up. There are images for you to see. It has the look of piped binding and it is gorgeous when coordinating colors are used.

solstice3 04-21-2013 04:41 AM

I sew the front first and hand finish..it's the only way I can do things right

cjaneky 04-21-2013 04:43 AM

I have stitched to the front and hand sew the back but lately have found that if i stitch to the back and then bring the binding to the front and use a simple decorative stitch it will take care of missed spots on the back...i use a simple ''looks like a chicken foot'' stitch...it has brought many compliments and gives the binding that little extra something...

meanmom 04-21-2013 05:26 AM

It depend on the type of binding I am using. Some quilts I sew the binding on the front and flip it to the back and hand sew it. My current favorite binding is fake piped binding. If you google it there are tons of tutorials for it. You use 2 colors and sew it to the back and flip to the front. Once you get the hang of it it is wonderful. The hardest part is the corners. Look at the tutorials for it. Once you learn how it is awesome. I'm not good at explaining things. I cut my piping color 1 1/2 and the main color 1 1/4 inch. Try it.