Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine quilting on portable sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-portable-sewing-machine-t65938.html)

LJBallard 09-21-2010 04:19 AM

I have just finished a border quilt and would like to machine quilt it but am having problems with my thread breaking. I am wondering if the machine, a Kenmore is just not powerful enough to do the job or if it is needing to be serviced. Can anyone help? It kills me to think of taking the machine in. I hate not having it around when inspiration strikes.
Laura

ktbb 09-21-2010 04:32 AM

Your Kenmore should be able to handle it...some things to check on:

- Is your thread old? if so it will break easily.
- Do you have the right needle? A topstitch needle is always a good choice because it has a larger eye and can accommodate threads better than universals and some others.
- Have you checked that you have threaded the machine correctly? When in doubt, rethread ...both top and bottom.
- If you're doing free motion quilting are you moving your quilt sandwich faster than the machine can push the thread thru? This can create extra tension that causes the thread to break.

There are many other things to check, and I'm sure others will chime in with their ideas.

cjomomma 09-21-2010 04:51 AM

Have you checked the tension on the machine? If it is too tight the thread will break. Oh and everything that Ktbb said too.

azwendyg 09-21-2010 04:57 AM

Are you using a good quality thread? I bought some C&C Quilting Thread at WM and tried to use it. Terrible problems with skipping stitches. I had a new needle, machine was adjusted properly, etc; tried everything and nothing made it better. I finally changed to a different thread and it stitched perfectly!

So now my checklist before each quilting project:
Change the needle
Clean the machine
Check and adjust the tension
Quilt a "test" sandwich
If it's not working, re-thread the machine
If it's still not working, try different thread!

Chigger Holler Quilter 09-21-2010 05:15 AM

Just want everyone to know that I appreciate the tips as well. thanks for asking the question, LJ !

JJs 09-21-2010 05:56 AM

Is the bat polyester?
Is the thread poly wrapped cotton?
Is the thread poly?
Is the backing a sheet with poly content?

Sometimes those things make a huge difference/problem.

Poly bats can cause thread to shred then break- so examine the thread to see if it's breaking or shredding.

Or if this is your first time trying to machine quilt, you may be moving the quilt too fast or two slow....

Or it may be that you just aren't holding your mouth right...

ckcowl 09-21-2010 06:54 AM

as you see there can be lots of different reasons for breaking thread when we are quilting...i would think it has nothing to do with your machine being capable of doing the job, you can quilt on pretty much any machine. first things to do is change your needle. make sure the size needle and eye opening is the correct size for your thread and what you are working on. then rethread the machine. take it slow and try again, test the thread for strength by pulling out about 10" wrap it around both hands and give it a tug, does it break easily? if so you need some different thread...it should be quite difficult to break the thread by hand.
and it does not matter how much you spent on the thread or what brand it is, everyone uses different threads. the key is finding the one that works for you! i have spent upwards of $20 a spool for quilting thread i could not use...except for hand basting type stuff...garbage thread...and then i've bought $1 a spool threads that worked fine...it depends on so many different things. these days i have been buying all of my threads from connecting threads and have been very happy with them. but the needle has to be the right size needle too. visit Superior Threads they have lots of great information on needles and threads.
don't give up!

amma 09-21-2010 11:38 AM

Try lengthening your stitches too...
they can be significantly longer when quilting versus piecing :D:D:D

nursie76 09-21-2010 11:41 AM

Are you FMQ'ing or straight stitching? If you are FMQ'ing that would add a whole list of other reasons the thread could be breaking.

LJBallard 09-21-2010 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by JJs
Is the bat polyester?
Is the thread poly wrapped cotton?
Is the thread poly?
Is the backing a sheet with poly content?

Sometimes those things make a huge difference/problem.

Poly bats can cause thread to shred then break- so examine the thread to see if it's breaking or shredding.

Or if this is your first time trying to machine quilt, you may be moving the quilt too fast or two slow....

Or it may be that you just aren't holding your mouth right...

Thanks for all the tips. I will get back in there and take a look.
The batting is cotton.