Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-t16509.html)

gerri1965 02-14-2009 05:29 AM

Hi, I'm new to this,but I was wanting to know about....... Machine Quilting,is there a good book I could read about machine quilting? I know nothing about it,but as I'm getting older my hands ache quilting by hand,so I thought I might try machine quilting,but haven't got a clue how to get started.Thanks! Gerri

sandpat 02-14-2009 05:31 AM

The best book ever is Heirloom Machine Quilting by Harriet Hargrave. Its my bible for machine quilting. I'm sure there are other good ones out there as well.

Quilter101 02-14-2009 06:59 AM

I agree with the above post, would also add Rodales fun and fancy machine quilting, great book!

dojo36 02-14-2009 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by gerri1965
Hi, I'm new to this,but I was wanting to know about....... Machine Quilting,is there a good book I could read about machine quilting? I know nothing about it,but as I'm getting older my hands ache quilting by hand,so I thought I might try machine quilting,but haven't got a clue how to get started.Thanks! Gerri

your cat looks just like mine, darling of course!

Lisa T 02-14-2009 09:42 AM

Oh, wow. Your cats are identical! Too funny!

Lisa T 02-14-2009 09:43 AM

And to stay on topic, I took a machine quilting class at my LQS and it was totally worth it. They are able to answer questions and such, and sort of walk you through it.

dojo36 02-14-2009 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa T
And to stay on topic, I took a machine quilting class at my LQS and it was totally worth it. They are able to answer questions and such, and sort of walk you through it.

yep i took a class too on it but you still have to practice, practice, practice, i thought i would never learn to do it, i'm better at it now but still not too good, for me it is a hard thing to do.

Shemjo 02-14-2009 10:02 AM

Classes are great becasue you have someone to show you and you can ask lots of questions. Plus the instructor can watch you do it and offer suggestions. But practice is what makes it happen! :lol:

Just noticed how many avatars have their pets with or without the quilts!
Where would we be without our furry friends?

CindyBee 02-14-2009 02:53 PM

I have Harriet Hargraves book and love it. But basically, just dive in and do it! I did freehand feathers, stippling and diagonal quilting all on the same quilt- my second! I just practiced on a few small sandwich squares first. I recommend gloves. I purchased a pair of lightweight cotton knit gardening gloves with rubber fingers for $2 at Lowe's and they made a big difference. Give it a try and let us know how you like it :)

crashnquilt 02-15-2009 07:06 AM

Another good book is MACHINE QUILTING by Diane Gaudinsky. If you are going to try machine quilting on your home sewing machine I strongly suggest that you get yourself a pair of MACHINEGERS. These are gloves with rubber tips on the fingers and are great for keeping a good grip on your quilt while moving it.