Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-t229374.html)

charp 09-03-2013 08:10 AM

Machine quilting

I have made a few quilts, but I had an Aunt in town with a long arm machine to quilt my projects. She had the nerve to move out of town! LOL

I have never machine quilted. Well, I tried once and made a mess of it, but that was years ago when I first started sewing of any kind.

So, I have a lap quilt that I have basted, and I just want to make wavy meandering lines down and across the quilt. I was set to do this tonight, but I was looking at some tutorials, and wondered if I would need a walking foot.

I did baste with Elmers school glue, so the layers are pretty well held together.

What would you suggest?

Thanks'
Charlotte

Misty's Mom 09-03-2013 08:16 AM

To me, a walking foot makes all the difference in the world.

RedGarnet222 09-03-2013 08:21 AM

If you use the walking foot why not stitch in the ditch? The wavy lines can be tricky and bunch it you get the curve too sharp. I am sure if you practice on a table runner (or something else) before doing this one, you will feel more confident to work on your quilt. The other option is to mail the quilt to your quilter of find a new one where you live. Your local guild or quilt shop can direct you to one, I am sure.

U tube has quilting tutorials and I think, All People Quilt. com has some free instructional videos too.

toverly 09-03-2013 08:33 AM

I never use a walking foot when I want to meander. I do use a hopping foot for free motion. Just drop the feed dogs and go. Though I would check the back on a test piece to make certain there are no eyelashes. I have one machine that eyelashed and another that doesn't. I can change the tension to make the one that eyelashes not eyelash but, why mess with it when it is perfect for straight sewing.

tessagin 09-03-2013 08:45 AM

I've been watching the youTube videos and practicing on small pieces like mug rugs and placemats. especially since I will be using my DSM.

wolph33 09-03-2013 08:50 AM

for meandering wavy lines a walking foot is a must,in my opinion.it makes a huge difference in fabric not sifting around.I use it for binding a quilt also.

meyert 09-03-2013 09:29 AM

I am new and not 100% sure what you mean by walking foot - I have to check into that. When I machine quilt I just stitch in the ditch or sew straight lines using the blue painters tape for a guide. Someday I hope to get brave enough to FMQ, but every time I practice on some scraps its very ugly

Buckeye Rose 09-03-2013 09:34 AM

I think a walking foot for a smaller wavy line is ok, but if you want a larger wave, it would be easier done with the fmq/hopping/darning foot.

klgls 09-03-2013 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Depending on how wavy - I would definitely either use a walking foot or a darning foot (at least that is what I call it).

Here's a picture of a walking foot

[ATTACH=CONFIG]433888[/ATTACH]

charp 09-03-2013 10:32 AM

By wavy line, I looking at just a half inch or so back and forth on either side of the seam. I thought that way it would not be obvious if I was not straight and it would be a little less "blocky". I did it with my doll quilt, no problem, but it was much smaller.