Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Quilting - Thread keeps breaking (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-quilting-thread-keeps-breaking-t312839.html)

Katesquiltingadventure 10-19-2020 02:02 AM

Machine Quilting - Thread keeps breaking

Hi All!

I've recently just started quilting and I'm at the point now where I'm quilting my first quilt! (which I'm so excited about). I've basted my quilt, and just started quilting but a couple of times now when I've gone through the thicker parts of the quilt (where there's more fabric) the needle jars a little and the thread ends up snapping. Is this because I don't have the correct size needle or the correct thread?

Any help or insights would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,
katesquiltingadventures

Homespun 10-19-2020 06:36 AM

Is your bobbin in correctly My mid-arm machine only works well if I have the bobbin thread going the right way.

SallyS 10-19-2020 07:36 AM

Try a bigger needle and sewing slowly over those thicker parts.

juliasb 10-19-2020 08:02 AM

I would change the needle to a 90/14 and go slowly over those thicker places. If you are still having the problem go to a stronger thread. I was a convert to Glide thread for both my 1500se and my Domestic Machine. Great strong quilting thread.

Rhonda K 10-19-2020 09:11 AM

Hello and Welcome!

As your name says, quilting is an adventure for sure! Try a topstitch 90/14 needle. Be sure the bobbin is wound correctly.

You want to raise the quilt on the left side so it is flat with the machine bed. When it drops down the side, it can cause drag on the quilt.

What pattern are you quilting? Some machines have issues if you stitch left to right Or right to left. It doesn't like the shift in the movement. By your post that may be the issue.

What thread and type? A large spool needs to be on a stand. It does matter how the thread is wound on the spool and how it positioned on the machine.

Hope that may help solve the issues. Again Welcome!

Jingle 10-19-2020 05:12 PM

I use size 16 needle to do FMQ.

sewingpup 10-19-2020 05:22 PM

It might help a bit if you told us if you are using a long arm or a domestic, what thread in the top and in the bobbin and the size needle. Our suggestions could be a bit more helpful than. On my domestic, I can use a good quality cotton thread like mettler or Aurifil but on my long arm, I like using a poly thread like Superiors 40 weight OMNI or Superiors 50 weight SoFine .

quiltingshorttimer 10-19-2020 05:24 PM

poly thread (like SoFine), #14 Topstitch needle, go slower through thick areas. Have fun!

jmoore 10-20-2020 04:12 AM

Welcome to the QB...You’ve been given great suggestions. I am a fan of Glide and Isacord for FMQ. Good luck.

Katesquiltingadventure 10-21-2020 01:07 AM

Hi All,

Thanks for your all your feedback! - it's much appreciated. I'm going to give your suggestions a go (change needle, give a different thread a go and check the bobbin) and I'll let you know how I go!